Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first problem with my 400EX....

Question My first problem with my 400EX....

Well, I had my first problem with my 2000 400EX. I went riding on Friday with my frined, he has an RM125 dirt bike. We were riding trails for about an hour and a half, then we went to a big circle track. The track was big enough to were I could get into 5th gear on the straight aways with my 14 tooth front sprocket, then I would power slide the corners in about 3rd gear. I was riding kind of hard nothing out of the normal. Well after about 15 mins of riding my quad would start to cut out in the straight aways when I was in 5th gear going fast. It was acting like it wasn't getting any gas. I pulled over and checked everything gas and oil everything was full but I put the tank on Reserve anyways to make sure it was getting fuel. I then started to ride again and it was still doing it in the straight aways. I then stopped for 15 and let it cool down. After that I putted around in 3rd gear slowly to get some air to the motor I thought this would cool it faster. I then stopped for 15 more mins and let it set. Then we went and rode trails. It started to cut out in about 4th gear pinned. I stopped and told my friend I was done for the day and I slowly rode back to the truck. I got home and stripped it down, changed the plug, the used one looked normal, cleaned the filter blew out the gas line from the tank to the carb thought it might have been blocked with something. Took the carb out and pumped the throttle and the carb shot a nice stream of gas like it is suppose to. I put everything back together. Started it in the shop sounded fine, throttle response was fine snappy like normal. I didn't ride it though. So why was it cutting out? Its not my jetting because I have had this quad for 7 months and it is fine. I have an R4 exhaust it is jetted for the KandN and the R4 I am postive it is jetted right. I thought it might be the gas but it is the same gas I always run 92 octane Amaco gas. I bought this gas in Iowa and I usually get my gas in Nebraska do you think this gas might have had some water in it? I didn't see an inline fuel filter on the 400EX does anyone recommend putting one on? Do you think it was overheating? I had oil and like I said I was going pretty fast, plenty of air was getting to the motor and oil cooler. Their was nothing blocking my cooling fins on the motor. Anyone have any ideas? This is the first problem I have ever had with a Honda.

The fuel filter is in the bottom of the gas tank.
    2007 can am outlander 800

There is no problem. You are just hitting your rev limiter. Gear your bike back up if you don't want to keep hitting it all the time.
    -2001 300ex-
    -1999 400ex-

Its your rev limiter. Hey honda400ex where at in Nebraska are you. I'm from Omaha. Maybe we can hook up?
    2001 400ex
    AC Pro peg nerf bars
    AC Bumper with mud screen
    DG A-Arm, Swingarm, Full skid plates
    Outerwears red shock covers
    Dynojet kit (currently 165mj)
    42 piolet jet
    K&N filter w/precharger
    FMF Powercore IV-2 S/A
    Ported headpipe
    No air box lid
    Custom graphics
    Custom storage compartment
    1 Crazy Cracker

"Pain last for a little while,
    Humiliation last forever!!"

iam from Nebraska too.......
    the big Kearney!!!
    -=2002 Honda 400ex=-
    *******STOCK*******

Guys Guys Guys, this is not a rev limiter I know what that feels like. I have hit the rev limiter before its not the rev. Is the fuel filter built in the tank or in the valve? Do you guys ride at Logan Iowa or Genoa or Hallsey? Maybe we can rider together.

Lightbulb

Just wondering what color was your plug when you took it out?

what kind of air filter do you have???? how often do you clean it???
    later

Your carb may need a little fine tuning with the air or fuel screw. I am not sure which with out hearing it, you will just have to play with it.
    I have rode over to Logan at the private quarry. I have a buddy from my ISU days that lives in Woodbine. His dad has part intersest in that quarry.
    2002 KTM 400 EXC, this bike is awsome!

Quads I use to own:
    FDO 463ex, Gas Gas 300, Gas Gas 450, Rancher, Yamaha Warrior, ATC Big Red.

If you can't afford to fix it or replace it, don't ask to ride it!

A faulty fuel cap vent or a pinched vent hose could cause this.

This goes for the carb vent hoses as well.
    Building a Lexus GS300/IS300 or Supra IV

2003 Cannondale Cannibal
    LE Stars & Strips (Sold)

2000 400EX (sold)
    1999 Blaster (sold)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast