Thread: swingarm bearings

swingarm bearings

hey i am having one heck of a time gettin my old swingarm bearins out of the swingarm....is there any neat lil tricks i can pull to get em out... i heated up the ar m a lil bit and htat didnt seem to help...any info would be great thanx
    -2005 black 450r (mx build currently)
    -2001 full race ready 440ex- (gone to a better place)

I used a real big screwdriver and a real big hammer, than for the one that was fightin me I took the dremel to it. They make bearing pullers but the one I had didn't work too well in the stock carrier.

Originally posted by 400exrider707
    I used a real big screwdriver and a real big hammer, than for the one that was fightin me I took the dremel to it. They make bearing pullers but the one I had didn't work too well in the stock carrier.
    yea i might go try that dremel idea...thanx
    -2005 black 450r (mx build currently)
    -2001 full race ready 440ex- (gone to a better place)

Find an old socket that's the same diameter as the bearings, put it up against the bearings and hit it with a hammer a few good times... Spraying some WD-40 in there before you start beating on it won't hurt.

I did this with my Houser swinger which has twice as many bearings and it worked like a champ.

This is the easiest, fastest and safest way I"ve found to do it.
    2001 Honda 416SS with a powerbong

Originally posted by Rico
    Find an old socket that's the same diameter as the bearings, put it up against the bearings and hit it with a hammer a few good times... Spraying some WD-40 in there before you start beating on it won't hurt.

I did this with my Houser swinger which has twice as many bearings and it worked like a champ.

This is the easiest, fastest and safest way I"ve found to do it.
    Thats what I do also.

which way do they come out ? to the outside or the inside of the swingarm.

LOL, I actully use a press! It works just fine for me!
    05 Gt Thunder Trx490r
    WHITEHORSE RACING
    RISSLER EXTEREME ATV
    PRM, AXE racing, FASST bars, GPR, IMS-Roll, DID chains, HRC, JT sprockets, GT Thunder link, Hipers, Maxxis, Tire Balls, Custom Axis, LSR (stem,arms swinger carrier hubs), Axecalliber axil, QuadTech, T&T Racing, Spider, UNI, Pivot works, mxprographx,

WHITEHORSE RACING Trx416ex
    Razor 2's 23"-22"s,IMS tank,Galfer Steal Brake Lines,Denton Stabilizer,Herrmann +1 swingarm,Herrmann Racing Seat latch,Hotcams Stage one,Port and polish,Dynojets,Wesico,Tag Bars,PRM Bumper,PRM Skids,Rad carriers,Spyder grips,All Balls,LRD Exhaust,Green Frame,Stock Red Front Plastic,Gray Maier Rear Plastics ,Elkas Shocks Up Front,STocker Rear Shock,Blown elka rear in the shop!

Knox Racing 1987 trx250r (under construction)

Originally posted by 400exrider707

He is talking about the swingarm pivot bearing, (u are right?) the best way to get your carrier bearings out, is pull the seals out, and the Get a salamander heat, and get it so hot u cant touch it and then just tap it against a peice of wood, and they will just fall out, When u get them both out, ur new ones will just fall right in, Freeze ur new bearings before u start!
    05 Gt Thunder Trx490r
    WHITEHORSE RACING
    RISSLER EXTEREME ATV
    PRM, AXE racing, FASST bars, GPR, IMS-Roll, DID chains, HRC, JT sprockets, GT Thunder link, Hipers, Maxxis, Tire Balls, Custom Axis, LSR (stem,arms swinger carrier hubs), Axecalliber axil, QuadTech, T&T Racing, Spider, UNI, Pivot works, mxprographx,

WHITEHORSE RACING Trx416ex
    Razor 2's 23"-22"s,IMS tank,Galfer Steal Brake Lines,Denton Stabilizer,Herrmann +1 swingarm,Herrmann Racing Seat latch,Hotcams Stage one,Port and polish,Dynojets,Wesico,Tag Bars,PRM Bumper,PRM Skids,Rad carriers,Spyder grips,All Balls,LRD Exhaust,Green Frame,Stock Red Front Plastic,Gray Maier Rear Plastics ,Elkas Shocks Up Front,STocker Rear Shock,Blown elka rear in the shop!

Knox Racing 1987 trx250r (under construction)