Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: red hot pipe

red hot pipe

Ive got a 02 400ex with a full yoshi exhast and a uni filter.Ive not had time to jet it out yet though it seems to run fine like it is.I only rode it for about 10 minutes last night and when I stoped the two header pipes were bright red hot from the head to about 5 inches out. Is this normal for an aftermarket pipe.Any information on this would be greatly apreciated.....

it needs to be jetted! It's way too lean!
    BEWARE OF ADAM MILLER HE IS A THIEF

This could be from not jetting it. When a motor is running real lean it gets very hot.
    2000 400ex DG nerfs and head light guard,renthal bars, power madd hand guards, fast treckers rears and maxxis razrs front, a/c skid, black flames graphics, K&N filter, more to come.

or maybe its for the cold wheather. that makes it get hot real easy.

Originally posted by PIMP
    or maybe its for the cold wheather. that makes it get hot real easy.
    No its definitely jetting. And anybody tells you that this is normal is lying

red hot pipe

Thanks for replying.Iam going to order me a jet kit for it. I checked the plug it was black not white like you would think it was if it was real lean.. Do you think it hurt my pipe or engine running like that..

Originally posted by 400exrider707
    No its definitely jetting. And anybody tells you that this is normal is lying
    i'm not saying its normal its cause i seen this happen even if the bike is stock.
    ppl that ride in the snow know what i'm talking about

i have seen this on many stock bikes including the new 450's. i usually richen up the jetting a tad and it fixes the problem. here is what i would do:

if they are glowing at idle, turn the fuel screw out a 1/2 turn or so.

if they glow from 1/16-3/4 throttle, drop the clip on the needle one position.

if they glow from 3/4-full throttle, raise the mainjet up a size or two.

this will fix your problem. good luck
    2005 450r

*sold* 2001 400ex

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right."

"A leader will take you where you want to go. A great leader will not necessarily take you where you want to go but where you ought to be."

"If you want to do something, you will find a way; if you don't, you'll find and excuse!"

"Its not aptitude but attitude that determines your altitude."

i have the full yoshi system and jetted mine fairly rich to take care it but if i ride hard on the road or anything that pulls the engine hard it still glows

red hot pipe

Thanks for the info. The first time I noticed it I just got back from giving it all it had going down the road and back.And the next time a couple of days later I was checking every thing over while letting it idle (It was running for about 10 minutes)and I noticed the pipes starting to get red. this weekend I should have my larger jets and I will try to find out just when it is doing it and try what you said. Iam glad other people has seen this hapen before.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast