Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I come in peace.. I just bought a YFZ

I come in peace.. I just bought a YFZ

I have had my 400 EX for a month or 2... (havnt had a dirt bike, or off road toy in 10 years) and have not been real happy with the power that this thing puts to the ground.
    I went off the deep end and bought a YFZ 450.
    I am a honda fan.. but I must say.. this quad is a freak.
    I am going to guess that my YFZ has a minimum of 50% more acceleration, if not MORE.
    My YFZ is stock, the EX400 has White bros FULL pipe, and K&N filter.
    Anyway, I am not sure if I am gonna keep the 2003 EX 400 and let my girlfriend ride it.. I guess it depends on if I get any offers to sell it.

I havnt had the YFZ out in the trails yet, but so far I can tell that the power is incredible, the turning radias seems to be superior.
    I am not flaming and dont expect to receive any.

Don
    2004 YFZ 450
    2003 EX 400
    2001 Harley Road King
    Strats, Tele's, Les Pauls and a few Marshalls
    2003 400 EX
    2001 harley road king
    1998 Z28
    several strats, les pauls and a couple of Marshalls.

lol damn. I heard nothing but good stuff about the 400ex, i go out and buy a brand new one and all of a sudden they are at the low end of the quad rating. lol guess its a good start bike for my first sport though, and besides i love it.

congrats on the new bike don

i'm in the same boat as you gearhead, except i didn't buy a new one. but i just got my 400 last summer and but some money into it, and i have already outgrown the power, suspension, etc, and am ready to get a yfz.....hopefully this spring. i was wondering about how much i could get out of my bike, here's a pic, tell me what you think, i was thinking prolly 2500 or a little more. and i'm gonna do some pc'ing here shortly, so that'll help.

2005 YAMAHA YFZ450
    +2 HOUSER aarms and steering stem flag, Elka front shocks, LSR axle, Dr. D slip-on, cam mod, AC nerfs and bumper, pro-design kill switch, Pro-Taper bars, One Industries graphics kit, pro-design case saver, PEP chain roller relocator, ebrake blockoff, Zip-ty fuel screw, carbon fiber brake rezzy relocator, 400ex throttle, a lil pc'ing and polishing

rear shock rebuild soon

172main, 48pilot, 35 leak, 6th position on stock needle, 2.5 turns out, and a brown spark plug!!

Originally posted by sampleez
    i'm in the same boat as you gearhead, except i didn't buy a new one. but i just got my 400 last summer and but some money into it, and i have already outgrown the power, suspension, etc, and am ready to get a yfz.....hopefully this spring. i was wondering about how much i could get out of my bike, here's a pic, tell me what you think, i was thinking prolly 2500 or a little more. and i'm gonna do some pc'ing here shortly, so that'll help.

Have any of you guys thought about the trx450r??

BTW, your 400ex looks really nice...
    Paul

I think everyone understands. I love my 400 and I'm still upgrading it... while a lot of others are moving on. The 400 has plenty power for me. Right now anyway.

So, its okay as long as you don't try to suck the brain fluid out of our heads like this guy did in the movie.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Honda, Best On Earth
    2000 400EX, 1996 300EX and a 1997 LT80 - each with a bunch of custom schtuff on'em!
    2001 CR250
    2002 KDX220

The 400ex is a blast to ride and If you feel like you need to go faster get a 450r and put a pipe on it and you will fall in love.
    1989 250r, LRD silencer, Delta v-force reeds, Keihin 40.5mm PWK carb, k&n air filter, custom air shrouds, ESR 350pv big Bore cylinder, ESR head, ESR trx11 pipe, Janssen Racing Basket, AC front bumper, +4 swingarm, tag bars, Elka shocks

Wife's bike:2005 TRX450r.... Full system Yoshimura tri-oval, Hrc kit, K&N air filter

I just bought a new 05' YFZ a few days ago too. I had a 416ex with a ton on money dropped into it. The 416 doesn't even come close to the power of the YFZ. I didn't think it would be that huge of a difference but I bet the 450 is putting 50% more power out. I did buy the YFZ new with a BUB carbon fiber complete exhaust and K&N installed so that helped with the power.
    05' YFZ450
    BUB complete ti/carbon exhaust
    K&N

*FOR SALE*03' 416ex
    LRD full system, Rev Box, Cam,Valve Job, Jet Kit, K&N filter, Motion Pro twist throttle, AC front bumper, DG Alloy Series Nerf Bars, On-Dunes Performance light covers, Works Shocks, Lonestar axle, Douglas Beadlocks

My friend has a YFZ and he has the a-arms replaced, 3 stems on it and had carb problems. My other friend sold his YFZ and got a 450r he had nothing but problems with it. He loves the 450r. Oh yeah I have to say they race gncc/mhcs. I still think the 400 EX is an awsome bike mostly (I BELIEVE) the YFZ feels so much fast than the 400 is because of the power delivery. The yfz is like a 2-stroke and the 400 is very smooth on the power delivery. I like the smooth power in the woods it helps you from tiring out in the long 1.5-2 hr races. That is just my two cents but yea the YFZ is faster.

I thought the yfz's were a bunch of hype till I rode one saturday.
    My fully built tc 426 power wise is real similar untill you hit the top end the yfz just kept going. Its motor was stock with an HMF pipe.

Handling wise both my quad and the yfz I rode had extended everyrthing and shocks. But the yfz seemed to handle better being lower. And it didnt seem to wear me out as much. Being a little easier to throw around cause of the weight.

Originally posted by K_Fulk
    I thought the yfz's were a bunch of hype till I rode one saturday.
    My fully built tc 426 power wise is real similar untill you hit the top end the yfz just kept going. Its motor was stock with an HMF pipe.

Handling wise both my quad and the yfz I rode had extended everyrthing and shocks. But the yfz seemed to handle better being lower. And it didnt seem to wear me out as much. Being a little easier to throw around cause of the weight.
    I was going to call BS to the weight difference, but I checked. YFZ 350# 400EX 377# Working an extra 27# may wear you out after awhile. I will not buy the YFZ because Yamahas lack of customer support and the R needs a starter. IMHO....
    Honda, Best On Earth
    2000 400EX, 1996 300EX and a 1997 LT80 - each with a bunch of custom schtuff on'em!
    2001 CR250
    2002 KDX220

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast