Thread: Plug Fouling

Plug Fouling

I may sound like an idiot but, Since the weather has gotten colder i've had two spark plugs that fouled up. But I bought a champion plug from wal-mart, dont know which one it just looked similar to the stock one but it is shorter) This doesnt foul up, but it backfires after I let off of WOT in 5th... what going on ?? thanks
    Yellow 2004 400ex
    K&N w/ outerwears
    Slotted Airbox lid
    Jet Kit
    14 Tooth Front

you have the wrong plug in

Just because it looks that same that does not mean that it is. Different plugs have different heat ranges will make the bike fire hotter or colder.

get the correct plug and leave the dam choke alone when starting it.
    2001 Honda 416SS with a powerbong

the problem is you are running a champion plug. I have nothing against champion but i cannot get them tp last in any small engine, whether it is a lawnmower or a quad. get the correct plug, preferably an NGK from the local shop.
    Tyler Jones

2000 426EX, 11:1 wiseco, hot cams stage 3 "stroker" cam, Ported head done by Dr. G, FCR 41, Hot rods crank, running no base gasket, 1 layer of 3 layer head gasket, Klotz 113 race fuel Feather carbon smoothie hood, works tripples w/ressies, Black HMF slip on, AC pro peg nerfs, Azonic fat bars, burgaurd +1 1/4" swinger, Lonestar +1 stem, douglas yellow label front wheels, Pro Armor front bumper, + some others goodies

AIM: Fourtrax426

Holeshot Motorsports Wilder, KY
    for all aftermarket parts

I ran one of those Champion 400EX plugs from Walmart. It seemed to run quite a bit hotter than the NGK plug which may be why yours didn't foul and is backfiring.
    2004 450R - 13:1 JE piston, HRC Cam, Yoshi full exhaust, ESR Intake, Hinson Clutch Basket, GT Thunder dual rate front revalves, Burgard +2+1 arms, GT Thunder rear linkage & rebuilt shock, G-Force +4 axle, W.E.R. Stabilizer, Tokyo Mods CDI, RAZR MX tires, Tusk nerfs, MSR bars, Tusk tether.
    2003 406EX - 10:1 Wiseco, HotCam Stg 3, Port & Polish, 450R 42mm carb, Stock shorty straight through exhaust, Powerbomb, K&N, FST cooler, Arens nerfs, Zaps CDI, 14T sprocket, VW Stabilizer, Magura Hydraulic clutch, Holeshot XC's(wifes)
    1990 Yamaha Blaster(sons)
    1986 Honda 200SX(daughers)
    2004 Tomahawk 110(sons)

400ex uses DPR8Z (NGK) OR X24GPR-U (DENSO)
    If you are running in high speed alot use (DPR9Z(NGK) OR X27GPR-U (DENSO).
    HOPE THIS HELPS.
    Lou

yeah i know that the champ plug is the wrong plug.. .Duh, but when i use the DPR9Z or DPR8Z they foul, the Champion doesnt foul....... It's probably just because the choke, but i just wanted another opinion...... does any body elses plug foul ( I mean I started it and rode for about an hour (twice) , came inside and about 2 hours l8r tried starting it and had to push it in the garage to check the plug that was fouled (this is the second plug 1 DPR9Z and one DPR8Z) So I put the champ back in so i could ride.. Why does it foul when i use the choke, It was like 5-18 degrees that day...
    Yellow 2004 400ex
    K&N w/ outerwears
    Slotted Airbox lid
    Jet Kit
    14 Tooth Front

my 400ex has the same problem and i have too put a new plug in about evry two months,and my quad stays in a heated garage and still has a hard time starting up