Thread: 450r First Service

450r First Service

My dealer told me to get the quad serviced (adj. valves, change oil and filter etc.) after three tanks of gas, but the manual indicates that it should first be serviced after 20 hours. When did you guys first service your 450r?
    05 450r - Maxxis, Uni, AC

i would go ahead and do it, theres something wrong if you wait 20 hours before an oil change. i wouldnt go more then 5, or 2 races.
    04 honda 450r

That's what I thought, wouldn't want to ruin the best thing I own.

I had the HRC cam installed after about 15 hrs, so that took care of the valve adjustment. I had changed the oil for the first time way before that.
    toys:
    89 250r, fmf pipe, new stock plastic all around, k&n filter, 39mm keihin carb, ohlin's, etc.
    04 450r, HRC kit, razr's, Dr. D exhaust, tusk nerfs, k&n filter
    08 wr250x, Traded
    02 CBR954RR

if u cant change the oil yourself then maybe you shouldnt own one....only thing i would go to the stealership for is valves adjusted but I doubt it needs it

you defiently dont want to wait that long to change the oil(20 tanks) espically b/c thats a new engine and u dont want small pieces of metal and suck floating around in your oil. can damge that nice 450cc.

he said 20 hours not twenty takes......... I hope you can get more than an hour out of each tank.

I've heard alot on this site about changing the oil after about 5 hours on the 450R because they don't even use a quart of oil when you change it.

Originally posted by MixMasterMike
    if u cant change the oil yourself then maybe you shouldnt own one....only thing i would go to the stealership for is valves adjusted but I doubt it needs it
    Of course I can change the oil and filter (I'm a software researcher funded by NASA...routine basic engine maintenance is nooooooo problem). I was concerned with the valve adjustment as it takes some experience to do it efficiently and correctly. But the engine sounds tip top so I'll take your advice and wait till I think they are out of adjustment. I'm at 6 hours now so I went ahead and changed the engine oil and filter. Thanks for the replies, I trust you racers.

The only reason I asked is that the manual's service schedule is not as rigorous as some riders follow on this site. The manual leads you to believe that this engine is as rugged as a 400ex (I certainly know that it requires way more maintenance). I'd rather be safe than sorry though.

In the service book, it says that the first service is very important.