Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wider axle

wider axle

i'm thinking of asking santa for a wider axle for my 400ex this year

how hard are we talkin for install? 1-10?

i'm not sure how wide to go, i want to be able to swing my rear a little better and have better stability but dont want to compromise my trail riding too much.

any experiences?

install isn't that bad, but i would invest in a set of axel nut wrenches. just take your time and get a manual so you are sure you put it back together with all the seals in the right place. i would rate it as a 7 for the first time.

as far as width +2 but i would try top find one that goes +4 also. then you can change it back and forth depending on where you ride that day.
    04 - TRX450R
    Red with black frame and wheels
    Pro-Tect Stainless swinger skid, grab bar, bumper
    PRM belly and a-arm skids
    14/39 Gearing - Sidewinder Ti-moly
    HMF Ballance Pro
    GT Thunder link & revalve
    Hotcam Stage 2
    Trail Tech weighted flywheel
    Fasst Flexx bars
    Trail tech mount
    ASV clutch w/ Works hot start add on
    Hiper wheels
    Holeshot HD's

Thanks Merrill-Stone Racing

I also asked Santa for a axle I want the g-force axle. That way i can shorten it when I go trail riding, and widen it for mx.

most liekly the hardest thing will be removing the hubs,but loosen the sprocket bolts and everything while it is still toghter and put the quad in 1st gear,that usually helps,but other then that is it easyt
    JOHN
    New Jersey Devils

2008 YFZ 450...my new money pit

Filthy Revengence Racing

C&D Racing
    B&K Performance

Click here to email me
    AIM Devilsfan12

the hubs are usually easy. Dont forget to ask santa for new bearings with that axle. The axle nut is confusing its left hand threads. Back that off...then remove the C-clip that usually give people the problems there first time
    I might have a mod or two.

I just got a G Force axle for my 450R. Do I need a set of axel nut wrenches or any other aftermarket part for it:
    Be fast,
    be water my friend.

Originally posted by 02Yellow400
    the hubs are usually easy. Dont forget to ask santa for new bearings with that axle. The axle nut is confusing its left hand threads. Back that off...then remove the C-clip that usually give people the problems there first time
    true but once u putta antifade on its all cake from there
    2002 400ex
    Burgard,PEP,AC,K&N,White Bros,Pro Taper,Duncan,Maier,Cycra,ITP,Radial,RPM,Galfer,Pro Design,Scott
    SOLD

1988 250x
    Renthal,Acerbis,Tamers,Radials,Burgard,Douglas,+2a rms,Stream line,Uni,DMC,Duncan,Moose,Weisco, White Bros

It is not a hard job whatsoever man... Make sure you remove the hubs and sprocket while its still on the bike. Then all you do is just loosen the axle nut and the pinch bolts on the swingarm and pull the old sucker out and slide the new one in. Couldnt be a more cut and dry job man. If youre gonna get a new axle, you should also DEFINITELY get a new axle nut like the RAD or Durablue. These are only like 30-40 bucks and they use a pinchbolt system instead of the stupid left handed jam nut the stocker uses. I am of the opinion that the stock axle nut is ONE TIME use only. Once it is loosened and removed it should NEVER make it back onto your bike!! That thing is a headache and youll see what Im talkin about when you try to loosen it... My advice would be to remove it and promptly throw it in the garbage like I did...
    -Paul

**Full TC 426cc national kit (rebuilt, back in business)**

-13:1 JE piston, national port+polish, lightened flywheel, port matched carb boot, TC 924 MX cam, TC hi rev CDI, oversize head stud kit, CRF cam chain, Carrillo HD rod, Sparks X-6 exhaust, FST auxillary oil cooler, PEP shocks, Laeger's +3 A-arms, JB Racing +1.25 swingarm, LSR axle, RPM tapered carrier, blue Maier plastic, Quadtech hood, Nacs graphics, seat cover, case saver, bar clamps etc, Renthal CR-Hi bend bars, Arens stem, Pro Design Pro Flow kit w/K&N, Outerwears airbox, snorkel hole + filter covers, RAD locknut, PEP E-Z pull clutch lever, Steel Braided brake lines, Razr MX tires, Douglas rims, Pro Armor nerfs, AC bumper, Rath seat latch, Motion Pro cables, WB e-brake block off, DID X-ring chain, Sidewinder sprockets, probably some more Im forgetting...

R.I.P Kelly Chang

thanks for the replies

i've got a clymers layin around here somewhere, so i'll get looking for that.

first guy said 7/10? wow. 1 being like rejetting it.

im going with the g-force axle. cheap and havent heard anything bad about em

new axle nut, eh? i just need one? which one would work? just gimme a link to rockymountainatv.com if they sell it, that's where i get my stuff from.

QUADER what's antifade?

thanks guy

edit

found my clymers, install looks easy-cheesy. do i need to buy that special wrench for the inner locknut? looks like a huge boxend wrench. and i'm sure i can get a cresent that big, or possibly an open end.

just use channel locks or a pipewrech
    2005 YAMAHA YFZ450
    +2 HOUSER aarms and steering stem flag, Elka front shocks, LSR axle, Dr. D slip-on, cam mod, AC nerfs and bumper, pro-design kill switch, Pro-Taper bars, One Industries graphics kit, pro-design case saver, PEP chain roller relocator, ebrake blockoff, Zip-ty fuel screw, carbon fiber brake rezzy relocator, 400ex throttle, a lil pc'ing and polishing

rear shock rebuild soon

172main, 48pilot, 35 leak, 6th position on stock needle, 2.5 turns out, and a brown spark plug!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast