Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trx 400 (how is it?)

Trx 400 (how is it?)

I wanted to get some info on the 2005 trx 400. Give me some opinions on everything you know. Cause i dont know anything and im looking at wat to buy. So help me out please.

pretty cool. what kind of riding do you do?

if you do trails and technical stuff 400ex is your machine

Same as the old 400's, just new styling, reverse and some different gear ratios. Not as fast as the old ones but more low end to make it better for trails.
    Tyler Jones

2000 426EX, 11:1 wiseco, hot cams stage 3 "stroker" cam, Ported head done by Dr. G, FCR 41, Hot rods crank, running no base gasket, 1 layer of 3 layer head gasket, Klotz 113 race fuel Feather carbon smoothie hood, works tripples w/ressies, Black HMF slip on, AC pro peg nerfs, Azonic fat bars, burgaurd +1 1/4" swinger, Lonestar +1 stem, douglas yellow label front wheels, Pro Armor front bumper, + some others goodies

AIM: Fourtrax426

Holeshot Motorsports Wilder, KY
    for all aftermarket parts

Really i never knew the old ones are faster than the new ones
    2002 400ex
    Lonestar Parking brake block off
    K&N Airfilter w/outer wear
    K&N Oil Filter
    Renthal Bars,Renthal Grips
    PRM .125 A-ARM and Full Chasis Skids
    PRM .190 Swing arm Skid
    ITP Holeshot 6 PLY XCR'S
    Woody Graphics
    Throttle Jockey seat cover
    Big Gun CDI
    NGK plug
    HMF Full Exhaust
    DynoJet Jet Kit
    RPM twin row carrier
    White Brothers Schock Wears
    Ride Red or Dont Ride!

how do u no thats true???
    05' 400EX

Well since the rev limiter has not been raised past the origional 9200RPM and it has lower gearing, it has to be slower. More speed can only be the result of either the eingine turning a higher RPM or the gearing being changed to a higher gear. THis means that the 2005 400EX is slower than any other year. It may not be by much, but still slower.
    2003 Warrior For Sale (PM for more info)
    1993 300ex - Being built

~Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.

yea well the '05 is nicer
    05' 400EX

yes, i like the new look and would love to have the reverse on my 400.
    Tyler Jones

2000 426EX, 11:1 wiseco, hot cams stage 3 "stroker" cam, Ported head done by Dr. G, FCR 41, Hot rods crank, running no base gasket, 1 layer of 3 layer head gasket, Klotz 113 race fuel Feather carbon smoothie hood, works tripples w/ressies, Black HMF slip on, AC pro peg nerfs, Azonic fat bars, burgaurd +1 1/4" swinger, Lonestar +1 stem, douglas yellow label front wheels, Pro Armor front bumper, + some others goodies

AIM: Fourtrax426

Holeshot Motorsports Wilder, KY
    for all aftermarket parts

i like the new lower gear ratios sometimes but i think i might put a 15 tooth on the front so its more like my old 02'. either way i still have a hell of alot of fun on it!
    Jared-----
    2004 CRF 50
    2005 400ex

OK here is my long summary of what the 400EX is/isn't(IMO). I want to make clear that I have riden most every sport quad available today, so this isn't hear say.

The 400EX is: Durable, reliable, has a great frame geometry and has the best low end I've ever felt in a sport quad(you can really lug it). Basically it is a very forgiving and easy quad to ride.

The 400EX isn't: The fastest, quickest, lightest, most nimble or snapiest. In terms of drag racing it'll run with or very close to the Z400 but the 450's/Raptors/Banshees/Dales/Predators/etc have it beat.

Technical considerations:

Air/oil cooling: Of course the 400EX is air/oil cooled and there is the possibility of it overheating and loosing power under extreme conditions. The only time I've had problems with this is when I am shooting long steep hills in the dunes. The positive side of air/oil cooling over liquid cooling is simplicity in terms of maintenance/repair and less points of failure.

Note: All the items above are assuming the 400EX is stock, any one of them could change with modifications.
    2004 450R - 13:1 JE piston, HRC Cam, Yoshi full exhaust, ESR Intake, Hinson Clutch Basket, GT Thunder dual rate front revalves, Burgard +2+1 arms, GT Thunder rear linkage & rebuilt shock, G-Force +4 axle, W.E.R. Stabilizer, Tokyo Mods CDI, RAZR MX tires, Tusk nerfs, MSR bars, Tusk tether.
    2003 406EX - 10:1 Wiseco, HotCam Stg 3, Port & Polish, 450R 42mm carb, Stock shorty straight through exhaust, Powerbomb, K&N, FST cooler, Arens nerfs, Zaps CDI, 14T sprocket, VW Stabilizer, Magura Hydraulic clutch, Holeshot XC's(wifes)
    1990 Yamaha Blaster(sons)
    1986 Honda 200SX(daughers)
    2004 Tomahawk 110(sons)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast