Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Seat Cover How-To

Post Seat Cover How-To

We all at one time or another will need to replace a stock seat cover or make the switch to an aftermarket unit.

If you are concerned you can't do this yourself then maybe consider taking it to a local upholstry shop and have it done for you. I called 3 in my area and all stated a charge of less then $25. While that may seem expensive, some of the seat covers on the market approach $100+ so it maybe an option if your not mechanically inclined.

You will need at the least a small to medium flat blade screw driver, a small set of pliers and a staple gun with either 1/4 inch or 3/8 staples. I use 1/4 so I can avoid punching a staple clean through the seat pan!

Start by removing your seat and inspect it. Look at where the factory cover is and where the staples are located and also thier spacing to give you an idea of how yours should look when your finished.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Staff Photographer ATVRiders.com
    Senior Photographer ATVInsider
    Staff Photographer GNCC Racing/ATV MX
    Staff Photographer Vurboffroad
    Staff Photographer Cycle News

After you have convinced yourself you can tackle this, start removing the seat cover by getting a few of the staples loose and either ripping the old cover off like a kid at christmas, or you can take your time and remove every staple. If the seat cover being removed has life left maybe take your time, I usually just take the old one off with care.

Once the cover is removed, take the pliers and get any loose staples out of the pan. One of these can puncture your hand or rip your brand new cover.

Now is the time to inspect the seat foam also. If its damp or wet consider letting it dry for a day or so. Trapping moisture under the new cover will invite rot.

A nice clean work area is a must, I prefer the floor.

Lay out the new cover and check its fitment. You should know right away if there may be problems with it.

I usually start at the back of the seat, center the cover and attach it with 1 staple. I then work slowly making sure the back is straight and I am not causing wrinkles.

Once you have the back secured, move slowly up each side checking often for wrinkles or bulges in the cover. Simply wrapping the cover over the side, and pulling the cover tight works, just take your time and add 1 to 3 staples in a row then re check.

After 1/3 of the way up the seat has been inspected and stapled, I usually start rolling the cover forward and pushing it off to the sides. All I am trying to do is keep wrinkles out and slowly stretch the cover evenly over the foam and pan.

As i staple, I gently use the staple gun to stretch the cover ever so much to get it taught. Remember, you can remove a staple or two if you get something wrong!

When finished your seat should be wrinkle free. Some covers, like this Quadtech, have a bit more cushion in the cover and are almost bound to have very slight imperfections. Ive had 2 done by real upholstry shops that were as good as what I do so I save the $25

I hope this will help someone who may have never seen a seat cover installed.

cool. It's not as involved as I thought
    04 450R

I find it easier to staple the very front first, then the very back then stretch the crap out of it. On mine (klotz seat cover) I left the stock one on underneath and it fit perfect. Also you will need a really powerful stapler, I remember the first one I tried on my banshee, I tried with a regular power stapler and it didn't do shiz. I finally bought the kind you plug in and it did the trick.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast