Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: recently mounted 450r F shox on 400ex

recently mounted 450r F shox on 400ex

I know everyone says it doesn't work but I usually like to learn the hard way. So, I did it. Went out this weekend and it was muddy as hell. I did notice my landings off jumps where way way smoother.
    I was told to loosen up my spanner nus on the 450r shox so I can get some extra sag. They do seem pretty soft just when I push down on them. My queston now is how to dial them in. I notice I have the adjustment on the top and the bottom. I need a lil 101 on dialing suspension in. Also nticed there are no "clicks" when you turn these adjustments. So how do you know where you are -----you could be going soft when your really trying to harden them because they wil keep on turning(im assuming).
    Anyway, any help w/ this would be much appreciated!!
    Thanks in advance.

i have the yfz shocks on my 400 and i had to make the preload stiffer b/c of my +2 aarms. all of the adjustments(this is for the yfz, i'm just assuming the 450r is the same) work like a standard thread, turn it right to tighten(or stiffen in this case) and left to soften. hope this helps a little.
    2005 YAMAHA YFZ450
    +2 HOUSER aarms and steering stem flag, Elka front shocks, LSR axle, Dr. D slip-on, cam mod, AC nerfs and bumper, pro-design kill switch, Pro-Taper bars, One Industries graphics kit, pro-design case saver, PEP chain roller relocator, ebrake blockoff, Zip-ty fuel screw, carbon fiber brake rezzy relocator, 400ex throttle, a lil pc'ing and polishing

rear shock rebuild soon

172main, 48pilot, 35 leak, 6th position on stock needle, 2.5 turns out, and a brown spark plug!!

Yeah, I loosened those all the way to the top (colby from c&d mentioned to start there) But I think they were too soft that way. How about your compression and rebound....did you do anything w/ either of those adjustments?

do u have any pics of the fox shock
    2003 Rm125
    2004 MX Trx450R-
    -Special thanks 2006 sponsors-
    Mom and Dad, Factory effex, Scott USA, 661, Renthal, Acerbis,ICAt, Universal engineering, Fcr Suspension, Gaerne Boots

"theres only 2 kind of riders, the ones who have crashed and the ones who r gonna crash"

no, I put on the 450r front shocks

oh ok. srry bout that.
    2003 Rm125
    2004 MX Trx450R-
    -Special thanks 2006 sponsors-
    Mom and Dad, Factory effex, Scott USA, 661, Renthal, Acerbis,ICAt, Universal engineering, Fcr Suspension, Gaerne Boots

"theres only 2 kind of riders, the ones who have crashed and the ones who r gonna crash"

ALot of ppl have them already man, They work great for z-400's also!
    05 Gt Thunder Trx490r
    WHITEHORSE RACING
    RISSLER EXTEREME ATV
    PRM, AXE racing, FASST bars, GPR, IMS-Roll, DID chains, HRC, JT sprockets, GT Thunder link, Hipers, Maxxis, Tire Balls, Custom Axis, LSR (stem,arms swinger carrier hubs), Axecalliber axil, QuadTech, T&T Racing, Spider, UNI, Pivot works, mxprographx,

WHITEHORSE RACING Trx416ex
    Razor 2's 23"-22"s,IMS tank,Galfer Steal Brake Lines,Denton Stabilizer,Herrmann +1 swingarm,Herrmann Racing Seat latch,Hotcams Stage one,Port and polish,Dynojets,Wesico,Tag Bars,PRM Bumper,PRM Skids,Rad carriers,Spyder grips,All Balls,LRD Exhaust,Green Frame,Stock Red Front Plastic,Gray Maier Rear Plastics ,Elkas Shocks Up Front,STocker Rear Shock,Blown elka rear in the shop!

Knox Racing 1987 trx250r (under construction)

i have done a little. i have my compression set pretty stiff(13-14 of 18 clicks), but i think i'm gonna tighten the preload some more and loosen compression some. the rebound is only set to like 5-6 out of 18) it seems to be pretty good, but i'll have to do a little more adjusting. if anyone else has a similar frontend, what do you have yours set to.
    2005 YAMAHA YFZ450
    +2 HOUSER aarms and steering stem flag, Elka front shocks, LSR axle, Dr. D slip-on, cam mod, AC nerfs and bumper, pro-design kill switch, Pro-Taper bars, One Industries graphics kit, pro-design case saver, PEP chain roller relocator, ebrake blockoff, Zip-ty fuel screw, carbon fiber brake rezzy relocator, 400ex throttle, a lil pc'ing and polishing

rear shock rebuild soon

172main, 48pilot, 35 leak, 6th position on stock needle, 2.5 turns out, and a brown spark plug!!

can you post pictures? For 550 bucks you could have them rebuilt as TCS or Elkas and dial them in for your 400.

Im just curious to see a pic of how it looks.

That may have seemed like a good idea but putting a 450 rear on a 400 will damage your frame. Let me explain. I am an R&D test rider for Elka Suspension and the rear shocks may seem similar but the dimensions are quite different. The 450 shock is shorter in overall length which leads people to believe that they will have a lower ride height, true to some extent. What it also does is travel up too far as the shock has a different travel location. What will happen is when you bottom the suspension, your frame(under the footpegs) will hit the ground before your shock fully compresses resulting in frame breakage. This will be very bad with 20's and catastrofic with 18's. It will only be a matter of time before your frame breaks off a foot peg mounts and surrounding tubes. Also your airbox, silencer, battery, etc. will be damaged as well. Even if you are a light rider that thinks it will be ok, please don't ride your bike this way. I have been reading for months about people trying to swap parts from one bike to another and this is NOT one to do. I don't want any of my EX homies to get hurt . This is not a joke or an Elka plug in regardless of what other people might think they know about shocks. There are a few riders out there that will respond to this thread saying "it's ok he doesn't know what he is talking about. I have been riding mine for months now with no problems, blah, blah, blah. My advice is to have a reputable shop revalve your stock 400 shock and put it back on. I read about how people trying to save money by swapping parts all the time, and all they do is end up going around in circles and spending just as much or more money and wasting good ride time by rigging parts up. If you can't trust your ride or if you are constantly worrying about your parts, you can't concentrate on your riding. Good luck--

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast