Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: one valve ticking

Question one valve ticking

2003 400ex just put the engine back together, adjusting the valves, the right exhaust valve screw will not go down as far as the left. i adjusted it to the feeler guage spec and started it, tick tick tick, audible valve noise, so i took it apart again and took the valves out. rolled them
    on a table and they are smooth rolling, so they are not bent. so why is the adjustment not equal or close to the other
    exhaust valve?
    400ex lrd full system, hotcam stage 2, big gun high rev ignition, k & n a/f, no air box, beadlocks, nerf bars, msr handlebars, tether switch, lonestar + 4 axle, front wheel spacers, a/c front bumper, dragon graphics kit, lonestar bearing carrier, 18 inch rear tires, smaller front sprocket, also have a 2003 rincon stock, 02 gsxr 750, 1995 yamaha blaster, 06 kxf450

is one of the rockers bent?
    what kinda ticking is it? does it sound like the valve isnt closing all the way or does it sound like the adjustment is too loose?
    is the cam new to you? some cams are noisy and tick more than others.

the cam is stock, sounds like just loose, when rotating the engine operation and movement of the valve or rocker arm looks normal, visually nothing looks bent , it is a slow tick while then engine is idling, did'nt rev it up, just got it back together, when looking at the screws on both sides the left side is flush with the screws and you can see 3 or 4 threads on the right side, the original engine blew, so it has a used engine on it but original valve train, if you leave it running for a minute it sounds good other than that slow tick, this engine never had any trouble before, it originally came off my ex, but when my little cousin blew his engine i gave him mine and had his bored for my ex, always wanted more power but never could justify boring an engine that ran fine, we did replace the timing key with a sparks key, done this while trying to diagnose the original problem, but that still does'nt answer why the valves are adjusted differently
    400ex lrd full system, hotcam stage 2, big gun high rev ignition, k & n a/f, no air box, beadlocks, nerf bars, msr handlebars, tether switch, lonestar + 4 axle, front wheel spacers, a/c front bumper, dragon graphics kit, lonestar bearing carrier, 18 inch rear tires, smaller front sprocket, also have a 2003 rincon stock, 02 gsxr 750, 1995 yamaha blaster, 06 kxf450

When you are finding tdc, which direction are you turnign the engine??
    2007 yfz450
    2011 rancher fpm

since you have the stock cam and not an aftermarket one like i thought,does the cam have the decompressor on it?
    if so it may be stuck and holding the one exhaust valve slightly open all the time and it will make it tick constantly.

counter clockwise, according to my manual
    on the compression stroke is where i am supposed to adjust them, but i have been wrong before, mojo this is the same quad you tried to help me on b4, ended up he had run it low on oil, the film ended up being scars on the cylinder wall, after i pulled the engine completly apart

sorry, i do have a wb cam but his is stock kinda misleading with all my spec at the bottom, where would the decomp be at?

its the round piece on the cam that is inbetween the cam sprocket and the first cam lobe.
    i think i remember the motor now. is it the one that you said had the funny looking patches on the cylinder wall and you couldnt tell what they were? is this the same motor that has been rebuilt?

same motor that had the patches but it is the original motor out of my ex, i took his to have it bored to a 430 so i could put it in mine, i will have to check that out tomarrow, i appreciate all your help i will check back with you tomarrow on it, by the way just wandering do you race?

Originally posted by hondamxerd
    same motor that had the patches but it is the original motor out of my ex, i took his to have it bored to a 430 so i could put it in mine, i will have to check that out tomarrow, i appreciate all your help i will check back with you tomarrow on it, by the way just wandering do you race?
    dont race any more but i i did race bikes ( motocross ) for 11years but now i feel too old and im only 26.
    guess all the broken bones,trips to the E.R. and all the titanium screws and plates i have in me from all the bad breaks have finally slowed me down. i still ride alot but dont go to the track to compete anymore.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast