Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 400ex Starting Problems? Help...

400ex Starting Problems? Help...

Last month I added a WB slip-on exhaust to my stock 400ex. I went ahead and jetted the bike properly but for some reason my bike has difficulty starting? It takes awhile (meaning 5 to 10 minutes) to get my bike to turn over. I have a new battery so that is not the problem. Any thoughts on ways I can get my bike to start quicker...Thanks so much.

Aaron

does it turn over fine or what?
    try backing your air/fuel screw out some or installing a bigger pilot jet.

does it not turn over or does it not fire?
    2005 450r

*sold* 2001 400ex

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right."

"A leader will take you where you want to go. A great leader will not necessarily take you where you want to go but where you ought to be."

"If you want to do something, you will find a way; if you don't, you'll find and excuse!"

"Its not aptitude but attitude that determines your altitude."

After about 10 or so times, the bike will finally turn over and start. Does it have to do with the rings which came with the WB exhaust?

I checked the color of the spark plug and there is no black residue or plug burning up...so it does not sound like it is the jet. Just my thought...I am still new to this. I am willing to give anything a try. Do you think it is the timing? I have not tore into the motor or anything like that...just rejetted after I placed the slipon. Everything else has not been touched.

Thanks again....

you arent making much sense.
    is the motor turning over but not starting or is it not even turning over?
    you said it turns over and cranks after about 10 tries and i have no idea if you mean it finally cranks on the 10th try or if it isnt turning over or anything until you hit the start button for the 10th time.
    need to know what exactly you are talking about b4 we can help.

I appologize...the bike does turn over and run....but it takes about 10 minutes trying start the bike to get it to turn over. After riding the bike and then trying to restart it will take just about the same amount of time to get it to restart.

Is that normal for a bike to take that long to start? It just seems that it should not take that long to get the bike to start.

I hope I made more sense this time. Thanks again.

Aaron

no its not normal.
    you need to either try and adjust the air/fuel screw or go up a little on the pilot jet to help with starting it.
    also try and take the rings back out of the muffeler and see if it starts any easier, if it does then the rings may be installed wrong.

So, what size main jet did you put in there??
    07' 450R
    07' FOREMAN ES
    09' TRX250X
    86' ATC250SX

yeah i had a 300ex with the same problem kinda. i did a bunch of moding and crap at the same time. i had a 400ex carb on it. the stock pilot jet is 38 and i put in a 40. and it worked really good. and if ya want you can even mess with the fuel mixture screw too like that one guy said. that always helps. good luck
    Mat

05 450r (#74)
    HMF Exhaust
    HRC Cam
    Sparks Intake

Sponsors
    Brothers Motorsports, Rev Limit Racing

Thanks...I will go ahead and try all of those things mentioned. I really appreciate your assistance.

Aaron

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast