Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I keep my R?

Should I keep my R?

I'm 18 and don't have tons of money, but still do alright. I built my R myself, from the ground up. It's an awesome quad and in awesome shape. I'm running a stock frame (gusseted), works shocks on the front and an Ohlins rear. The usual MX stuff, axle, swingarm, +2 a-arms, anti-vibe stem, Roll pegs. My motor isn't the fastest around, but it's ok. I'm running a cool head, fmf exhaust, hinson basket, and cr intake.
    I'm just getting back on my quad after being out from an injury. My problem is, I feel my R won't be able to keep up with me after a few months. I could tear down the motor and make it a nice ported 265 with a bigger carb etc. Then I'd look for a nice aftermarket frame with maybe a no link or cr500 link and some pep, elka, or tcs shocks and a long travel front end. All of this costing much more money! I don't really care about having the newest quad out. I just want a quad that's clean, will compete with anything out there, and not give me problems for a decent price. What is everyones take on my situation? Put more money into the R, or sell it and update to a 4-stroke with about $7500 to spend after selling the R?
    2009 CRF250R

R.I.P. Kelly "Steelrod" Chang, Todd Vescovi, Matt Barosek, & Jeremy Lusk, You'll Never be Forgotten!

if you sell that R i will hunt you down and beat on you

you know my feelings man.....you built it and will hate yourself if you ever let it go.
    Staff Photographer ATVRiders.com
    Senior Photographer ATVInsider
    Staff Photographer GNCC Racing/ATV MX
    Staff Photographer Vurboffroad
    Staff Photographer Cycle News

Originally posted by Pappy
    if you sell that R i will hunt you down and beat on you

you know my feelings man.....you built it and will hate yourself if you ever let it go.
    I know paps, I knew you'd say that. It's just all coming down to racing now and keeping a competitive bike. If I was sure I could make my R the way I wanted it without spending a tons and then It actually being worth something in the end, I'd do it no doubt.
    But my R is my everything, and always has been. I feel closer to it than anything in the world.
    2009 CRF250R

R.I.P. Kelly "Steelrod" Chang, Todd Vescovi, Matt Barosek, & Jeremy Lusk, You'll Never be Forgotten!

keep It!!

wish mine was 1/2 as nice as yours dude, you already own it, now start saving towards a 4stroke to build, easier said than done...but look at what you did when you were only 16...you busted your *** and look what you have to show for it

good luck bro!

Keep it! I race xc and I beat many 450's every race, its not bike its rider. I do now own a 450r, but I'm going to keep my 250r for a couple reasons. 1 I know the quad, if i were to sell it and want another one someday you never know whats been done to it or how long it will last. I trust mine and know what has been done to it. Also I feel mine is very clean still has original stickers on frame, frame hasnt been broke or welded. On top of that I love riding the 250r I still think its the most fun to ride out of all the quads. I did exactly what JTRtrx250r said got my 250r rode it loved it, saved up bought a 450R. Cant beat it both R's!!! I think pappy is right youll be kicking yourself after you let it go. Also you probably wouldnt be able to get what you want and deserve out of it.
    Rissler's Extreme ATV

01 Roll Design Lobo 250R with a few extras
    LONG LIVE THE R!!!

keep the R. dont do what i did and get rid of it for a 450r.

sure i love the 450r alot but miss the old R

thats why i plan on building a nother one

so that i can have both.
    -2011 CRF450R
    -2003 Cannondale Moto
    -1996 GSXR 1100
    -1987 TRX350 foreman :-)
    -1985 TRX250 fourtrax
    www.bvcracing.com

Originally posted by ZRider400
    keep the R. dont do what i did and get rid of it for a 450r.

sure i love the 450r alot but miss the old R

thats why i plan on building a nother one

so that i can have both.
    Which one do you think is better for MX?
    I want to ride a 450R badly
    2009 CRF250R

KEEP THE R

I bought a 400ex in 2002 and started MXing it. Wider a-arms, axle, suspension etc. That same year I came accross a 86 Trx250r of my friends for $2500, which I bought. I rode it stock suspension on the Mx track and I was in heaven. The R jumped so much smoother and landed like it was ment to do MX racing. Long story short I got rid of the 400ex and kept the R and have riden a 450r, prediator, z400 and nothing feels like the 250r to me. I also own a 04 YFZ 450 and its a trail bike. I will never get rid of my R. It will be passed down to my son. I drag race my R now by the way and still love riding it much more than any other bike.

Later

Matthew

Heres a pic of the R
    1986 TRX250R Trail Bike
    1989 Drag Bike

simple as this...

i had a new 450R...

traded it for the 250R in my signature whats that tell ya
    PRP,ROLL DESIGN,AXIS YZ445 Hybrid

http://hybridriders.co.nr/

2001 M6 Camaro SS....600.8rwhp/632rwtq

waaay too many mods and still not fast enough for my liking!

Originally posted by stocktires
    Which one do you think is better for MX?
    I want to ride a 450R badly
    they both kick *** for mx. in stock form the 450r isnt great for mx........well a 250r wouldnt be either. most are highly modded.

modded vs modded the 250r is lighter and jumps better. but the 450 is easier to ride and can make near 50hp with a few mods.
    -2011 CRF450R
    -2003 Cannondale Moto
    -1996 GSXR 1100
    -1987 TRX350 foreman :-)
    -1985 TRX250 fourtrax
    www.bvcracing.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast