Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: weak *** 400ex

weak *** 400ex

I was wondering what everyone thought about the power upgrade you get from a curtis sparks pipe, jet kit and k&n filter. It is for a 2004 400ex, all stock. We had it out at dumont last weekend and this thing is weak, would not pull all the dunes even in 2nd. Would just the pipe,jet kit, and k&n be a very big difference? I dont want to spend a lot because the wife rides it, but have got to do something. Also how does anyone like the hot cams stage one? are they any good? thanks for any help.also i ran 4psi in the paddles , is that about right

chris herrin
    x130 district 37

well what do you ride in?

I ride dumont all the time and my ex climbs them all, no problem.I've got a full Lrd system w/ K&N filter,pro flo.I run typically 4 to 5 pds. of air.Try a 14 tooth sprocket,they are only like 20 bucks and install quick.

Sounds like you just need to learn how to ride the dunes better. I ride the dunes here have 8 paddle sand sharks with about 4psi, and there has never been any hill i haven't been able to climb.....VERY VERY RARELY do i have to use 1st gear going up a hill.
    Black '05 Honda 450r
    HRC Cam, DRD Slip-on, Pro Flow filter kit w/ K&N Filter, 13 tooth front sprocket
    Yellow '02 Honda 400ex
    K&N Air Filter w/ Outerwears,HMF Slip-on Powdercoated Black, Pro Armor Bumper, Renthal 400ex Bend Bars w/ Progrip Grips

'91 Toyota Pickup Extra Cab 4x4 SR5 v6!

98% of the teenage population will try, does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this into your signature

Curtis Sparks makes great pipes. A friend of mine has one ( the x6 on a stock bike ) and it picked up a lot of low end torque. But, I do agree with Lazer, maybe you just need to get used to riding it. Mine never had problems at the dunes. I use 10 pdl haulers @ 4 psi.
    '01 400ex; 11:1 comp, ported head. Everything else, stock.

i recomend , a cam, big bore, procirciut t-4 headpipe and silencer, jet kit, high compresion piston,
    400EX. list, White brothers E-series s bend, bandits, renthal chain, 909 bars, bumper, shock wears, KandN filter, Rims, Factory Effects graphic kit, hot cam stage 2, pro armer nerfs, dyno jet kit, smaller sprocket, & geared down

Originally posted by LazeR
    Sounds like you just need to learn how to ride the dunes better. I ride the dunes here have 8 paddle sand sharks with about 4psi, and there has never been any hill i haven't been able to climb.....VERY VERY RARELY do i have to use 1st gear going up a hill.
    maybe in oregon there are no dunes as steep as dumont, i know how to ride just fine, the bike is totally underpowered for the dunes at dumont, if it had just a little bit more it would be bareable,I just mess around on it sometimes, I ride a kx500 at the dunes.

Your best bet would be to get a 11:1 piston a stage 2 hotcam(more power in upperRPM) and a decent slip on jet kit and filter. If you do all the work your self it wouldnt be that expensive. It would give you alot more power.
    Finally got a 450r!

Dont listen to all that mumbo jumbo, I've ridden dumont on a stock bike and you do pull second up the hills and it did lack some pull. Then i bought a full system exhaust, k&n, and took airbox lid off and i was pulling third with alot more bottom end, and it was plenty fun without needing a piston and cam! But the more the better, it does help alot at the dunes to run a 14 tooth front sprocket though... good luck!
    yfz450 sparks exhaust, high comp piston, porting, big valves, cam mod and bored out carb and other goodies...

I don't see what people keep putting you down about need to learn how to ride a stock quad in the dunes when all of them have their quads modded out.

Go with the X-6, aftermarket cam (I don't know what stage people would recommend for dunes) and a smaller front sprocket.
    Neal C. Tody - ntadej@hotmail.com
    -2005 SE Yamaha YFZ450 - Pro Design Pro-Flow Intake, Renthal YFZ Bend Handlebars, AC Bumper, AC Nerfs, Holeshot MX 20" fronts and 18" rears, +2 Burgard Standard A-arms, +4 G-Force Axle, front shocks with the DeRisi Racing Pro Millenium Kit valved for MX (Would never recommend to anyone).
    -2000 Banshee - Found. Damn meth heads even destroyed my brand new engine. They've still got my HiPers too, SOB.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast