Thread: 310 jetting

310 jetting

I just installed an ESR 310 on my 87R. It has the mid/top port, ESR cool head w/ 19cc dome, trx6 pipe, boyeson c/f reeds, k&n w/o lid, and 36mm carb. The jetting is 178 main, 50 pilot, air screw 1.5 turns out, and needle at the 5th (bottom) position. The motor seems to run out of air/fuel when maxed out at 6th gear, it starts to sputter. Other than that, it's a monster. The spark plug is cardboard color, br8es. I live in california, central valley. I don't think the jetting is correct, any suggestions?
    Thanks

It could be a couple of things like the plug gap. Weak ignition spark. With higher compression with stock ignition you need to close the gap of your plug like to .015. I had problems when I when with a 18cc cool head dome. I jetted up and down but still didn't run good till I regapped my plug. Try regapping your plug and see what happens. Jetting sound to be almost spot on to me or very close.

Later

Matthew
    1986 TRX250R Trail Bike
    1989 Drag Bike

That was it! Once I changed the gap to .018, it ran perfect. Thanks for the help.

What was happening was the higher compression was blowing out the spark. Glad I could be of assistance to you.

Later

Matthew
    1986 TRX250R Trail Bike
    1989 Drag Bike

Hey jcas, I live in central california and have the same set up, exept for two things. First - CR 250 ignition , what a difference, spark is never a problem any more. Second - 38mm carb with 182 main, 50 pilot, 3rd clip down, 2 screws out. The cr ignition will lose you some grunt off an idle, but since I live here too we both know there not many woods areas to ride. Just my 2 cents