Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket Barrel with extra cooling fins???

Question Aftermarket Barrel with extra cooling fins???

Please help.

A mate of mine just broke his bike because of over heating.

Has a 416 JE HC piston, stage II hotcam and GT Thunder CDI.

Piston burnt badly and desintigrated. I read once on the net somewhere that a compnay was offering an aftermarket barrel which had longer cooling fins to help cool and disapate heat buildup.

Can anyone shed some light or make a recomendation? Heat is a problem in these parts. We ride in the desert and it is sand and dunes all the way. Bikes labour hard in the sand, tempretures or hot and high so air density is less. Bikes always run in high RPM but sand and dunes put allot of strain on the motor and forward momentum to generate airflow is not proportional to engine workload.

Already have air scoops installed, high volume pingray oil tank with extra cooling channels through the tank. We do not have a big budget but want to solve the problem as best we can and cool the motor down as much as possible to keep the power up.

Please help.
    HONDA RULES!!!!
    TRX 450 R

Lifes most valuable Tip!!!

When in doubt or peril, bring it to the Lord Jesus in prayer.
    Don't forget to thank him when he answers AND when you are happy!

Fully Reliant On GOD
    What Would Jesus Christ Do.

well you might try an oil cooler as well...

otherwise it looks like you and your buds should get some liquid cooled quads lol
    96 300ex- about all the speed mods. 14t/33t. wiseco .060 11:1 comp, stage 3 WEB cam, heavy duty valve springs, black diamond valves, mikuni 38mm flateslide carb, port/polished head, barnett clutch & springs, k&n filters, curtis sparks exhaust... FST oil cooler... aftermarket rims tires bumpers bars... nerfs kill switch skid ceet graphics... A LOT of other things...
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y140/frosti108/eddies%2087%20b2k%20and%2096%20300ex/

Unhappy

Would be easy to buy new quads if money was not an issue.

What oil cooler do you suggest?
    Heat buildup will be predominantly in the barrel which oil does not really get to or have a major cooling effect, so how much of a difference will an oil cooler make in this area? Have read about the one cooler option which has an oil feed directly into the head but that is a super expensive upgrade.

Has anyone heard or know of an High Volume oil pump on these bikes? Or is it a splash feed design?
    HONDA RULES!!!!
    TRX 450 R

Lifes most valuable Tip!!!

When in doubt or peril, bring it to the Lord Jesus in prayer.
    Don't forget to thank him when he answers AND when you are happy!

Fully Reliant On GOD
    What Would Jesus Christ Do.

Hi guys.
    Just like to add that my quad only started getting extreamly hot since I fitted the 416 piston. so my question is, " is this the norm" and secondly I heard that once you start fitting all the AMP's such as hotcam stage 2, pistons, high rev CDI ect ect the Quad tends to battle with endures, great for MX but not long Hauls across the desert?

http://groups.msn.com/QAUDMANIC/home.htm

xrsonly (i believe thats the name of the place) does that fin mod your talkin about. its sposed to work really well.
    1985 LT250R < stolen!
    2002 400EX

ECPerformance 450R

E-mail: trx500ex@hotmail.com

Originally posted by Juggalo
    xrsonly (i believe thats the name of the place) does that fin mod your talkin about. its sposed to work really well.
    wow I never seen that before. looks like it would help.

03 400ex. HMF s/o. XR cam. sparks flywheel key. chokeless. pep dampener.AC bumper.PRM skids.Tinner scoops.Arens nerfs.

i think you guys just need to figure out what is wrong with the bike to begin with there is no reason your piston should have melted down in the desert specially a 416, i would say your jetted way to lean or is your buddy running an advance key cause if you run a key with that box you will gernade your piston but instead of trying to figure out what to add to your bike you need to figure out what your doing wrong to begin with what type of fuel are you running and the heat you probably should have been running race fuel you could have even blown the piston up from pre detonation

OhioMafiaRiders.com

2002 KTM 520SX

2002 Silver GT450ex Back in Black and stroked by GT Thunder

wanna fight............... how bout you stick your head up my butt and fight for air

Originally posted by sickmojave
    wow I never seen that before. looks like it would help.

my head went out to have that done, i guess we'll see how it works in the spring

OhioMafiaRiders.com

2002 KTM 520SX

2002 Silver GT450ex Back in Black and stroked by GT Thunder

wanna fight............... how bout you stick your head up my butt and fight for air

I with uglymotha, sounds like your to lean, if anything jet rich, it will make your bike run cooler, you can even go with a colder plug and that will help as well!
    Black '05 Honda 450r
    HRC Cam, DRD Slip-on, Pro Flow filter kit w/ K&N Filter, 13 tooth front sprocket
    Yellow '02 Honda 400ex
    K&N Air Filter w/ Outerwears,HMF Slip-on Powdercoated Black, Pro Armor Bumper, Renthal 400ex Bend Bars w/ Progrip Grips

'91 Toyota Pickup Extra Cab 4x4 SR5 v6!

98% of the teenage population will try, does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this into your signature

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast