Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lightened flywheel

lightened flywheel

hello, i have asked this before but i want to get as many suggestions as possible. i am considering lightening the flywheel on my 400ex. i understand it may stall a bit easier but that isn't an issue. how much of a gain do you notice with this mod? gt thunder said i wouldn't gain anything in the upper gears but it may accelerate a bit better in the lower gears. also, who does this? i think TC and rocky ridge does this. i don't want to wait a year for it to come back though. any suggestions would be great.
    2005 450r

*sold* 2001 400ex

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right."

"A leader will take you where you want to go. A great leader will not necessarily take you where you want to go but where you ought to be."

"If you want to do something, you will find a way; if you don't, you'll find and excuse!"

"Its not aptitude but attitude that determines your altitude."

Just got my 440 back together and did lighten the flywheel 7oz. Made a big difference in throttle response and not having any problems with stalling. We could take more off but only if we were going to be sand dragging. We did it ourselves in our machine shop, but someone like C&D Racing should be able to help you.

Every engine builder I know of can do this mod, just check around with local shops
    2001 Duncan Racing National 440ex
    Power Cylinder 4000 12:1 JE
    web cam 463/9i, port & polish, 3 angle valve job, hardend rockers, titanium valve springs.
    Duncan Racing Fat Boy 4 Exhaust
    1mm oversized blackdiamond intake and exhaust valves
    15 point gusseted frame powder coated candy apple red
    Doug Eichner Signature Series Edelbrock Carb
    Procom CDI ignition
    Hinson Basket, Removable Side Case
    Sparks 8 plate clutch
    Custom graphics and seat cover
    Custom air intake with K&n Filter
    everything is polished and billet
    Roll Design chrome swing arm
    Elka dual rate ssd with LT linkage
    TCS ZPS, douglas ultimate billet beadlock wheels with Maxxis Razr's
    Roll +1.5" chrome anti vibe stem with Tag T-2 oversized bars cr hi bend
    Herrmann arms Trail Tech HID Lights w/ custom billet mount (for the dunes)
    Overized UM vented oil tank FST oil cooler kit and even more

Tom miller motorsports did mine and I had it back in about two weeks. This mod was well worth the $50 dollars it cost.My bike seemed to have more bottom end after this was done. I did not have trouble with stalling.In a drag race it would pull three bike lengths on a bike that would before the mod out run me
    440ex polished and ported head, stage 2 hot cam,shaved flywheel,hmf pipe

Just do it damit........

There are no negatives to doing it only postives. I had mine done 3+ years ago and I have no regret in doing it. Your basically getting faster revs from the motor down low.

Rocky Ridge did mine...
    2001 Honda 416SS with a powerbong

i guess i will do this then.

well, how much should i take off? or should i talk to whoever i sent it too about the amount removed? you don't know what it cost at rocky ridge do you rico?

how much did tom miller take off yours?
    2005 450r

*sold* 2001 400ex

"A leader will take you where you want to go. A great leader will not necessarily take you where you want to go but where you ought to be."

"If you want to do something, you will find a way; if you don't, you'll find and excuse!"

Anybody have any pics of a lightened flywheel?

i had mine done by rocky ridge i didn't tell them how much to take of or what i just told them i wanted the flywheel mod, and they pretty much took a crap load off, they shaved this sucker from every angle you can see even the face and the back step down was even shaved but it made a huge difference in acceleration, she accelerates quite a bit quicker you not goin to notice any low end power the only thing this mod does is allow the motor to rev quicker, i do however have trouble with idleing, she doesn't like to idle but nothing to worry about in my oppinion heres a pic of mine

OhioMafiaRiders.com

2002 KTM 520SX

2002 Silver GT450ex Back in Black and stroked by GT Thunder

wanna fight............... how bout you stick your head up my butt and fight for air

Awsome! Thanks man. Would this be a good mod for a mid range machine?

this makes the idle rougher?? just wondering because mine doesn't like to idle as it is now.

it almost seems as if there is an air leak somewhere. i took off both air boots and inspected them. i even bought another air boot that connects the carb to the head. i then removed that little white plastic tank that connects to the air boot and the engine. i think it is for gas recirculation or something like that. none of the hoses or air boots are cracked and all clamps are tight. i then replaced the crush washers in my head so i knew those weren't leaking. i then changed carbs. still no luck. i don't know why mine doesn't like to idle. my buddy had the same setup as me and his was fine. i then even used his carb and it works great on his bike, mine still had a rough idle. i mean, it idles, but it just isn't smooth like his.
    2005 450r

*sold* 2001 400ex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast