Thread: removing stock clutch perch

removing stock clutch perch

My buddy has a z400 and he tried to remove the stock clutch perch and put on an aftermarket one. When he does he twists the 2 wires together for the clutch sensor switch so it will start if hes not in neutral. But when these 2 wires are wired togther his battery dies, what does he have to do to put a aftermarket clutch perch on and be able to start it in gear without his battery dyin.
    Thanks
    03 426ex #606: pep race series front shocks by derisi, Hermann +1 a arms, axcalibur axle, burgard +1 +1 stem, ac racing pro pegs, hmf s/o with powerbomb header, acerbis rally2 handguards, moose bumper, holeshot xcts on baja's, razr2 fronts on hipers, muscle stabilizer

Thanks to my 06 sponsors
    Legacy ATV
    Regina Chains
    Amsoil

He's probably got a bad battery. We have an aftermarket perch and butt spliced the wires together and have had no battery problems.

Rich
    '04 TRX90
    106cc kit
    Monster cam and springs
    Big Gun Exhaust
    Nerf Bars
    2.5" rear spacers
    1.5" front spacers and flipped rims
    18" Turf Tamers on rear

I installed an ez pull clutch lever/perch today. I took the little round plug that was intalled on the oem perch and pulled it out all in one unit. this will eliminate splicing the wires. btw the two wires are yellow/black and black. When you pull out the round black piece it will have a little small rod sticking out. I just took the entire plug and zip tied it to the frame close to the headlight. The quad will now start in gear with out pulling in the clutch so becareful. The problem your friend is having sounds like the battery itself. not with the new clutch perch. Make sure you spliced the right wires. Agian Yellow/black and black. they are seperated by a connection to two other wires. Black/white and Black. Hope this helps.

I just bypassed my "clutch start" last night. What I did was removed the round switch and soldered a small 1" piece of 28ga wire across the connectors on the switch and installed it back in it's original place and it works great. I was wondering about the battery dying too if it accually put a "shunt" in the system, but it didnt. It looks like it have never been touched, everything is in place where it is supposed to be and it starts without having to pull the clutch in.

Eddie

I just looked at the wiring diagram on page 7-11 of the service manual. There is no way splicing those two wires together can have any effect on the battery.

See for yourself:

'04 KFX 400 [Orange]

---> Central California Rider <---

CT Racing Exhaust
    Hotcams - (2047-1N and 2048-1E)
    DRZe Base Gasket and Springs
    Dynatek CDI
    D.I.D Cam Chain
    Works Triple-Rates w/o rezzies
    Dynojet Needle - 3rd Clip
    Mikuni Main - 160 / 25 PJ / 2.5 Turns Out
    Carb Mounted Pull Choke