Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lowering or widening my dvx?

Unhappy lowering or widening my dvx?

I race in a tt mild MX series.I ride a totally stock DVX and find it is very tippy for this type of racing with very hard cornering.I would just put a lowering kit on it but we do have a few jumps(nothing huge) and I'm a little scared of breaking something with the kits.One guy runs a durablue link on the rear and it has held up well but what do I do with the front?Widening it would also be nice but whats the best way to do it.I can't afford megabux on A arms and shocks.Any help would be greatly appreciated
    2009 Sportsman 500
    04 Viper 90
    07 700 EFI Cat

For the front, you can flip your rims.(free- 5$)
    Set your rear pre-load all the way soft.(free)
    I don't have any TT experience, but from a few flat-track event's ive been through and one I participated in, you can run 300ex shocks on stock a arms on a Z,KFX,DVX, but you can't hit anything too big or you land hard if theres not a nice downramp. You can usually pick up a set pretty cheap off of ebay, and as a bonus the shorter shocks also make your fron't end wider. For the rear a set of wheel spacers would be your best bet.
    04' YFZ 450
    06' LTR 450
    03' Z400
    01' 406EX- R.I.P
    97' MXZ 583
    02' mxzx 600
    District 34, #450
    Aim: Hippiekicker 250

You can flip your rims around in the front and have it redrilled if you know someone that will do it or buy my wheel spacers for $35 shipped.
    The rear are $60 from rockymountainatv.com
    $100 and you will be 3" wider in the front and 5" in the rear.

give me your email and I will send you some before and after pics of my KFX.

I MX and jump all the time with no problems.
    06 LTR450

04 KFX400

05 Xtreme 125cc Pit Bike

Shouldn't you keep the front wider than the rear?
    2009 Sportsman 500
    04 Viper 90
    07 700 EFI Cat

I know my quad handles a lot better with the front +3" and the rear +5" wider.
    06 LTR450

04 KFX400

05 Xtreme 125cc Pit Bike

Yes wider is always better As for lowering kits ect. here's what we did, if you kow a GOOD welder/fabricator you can have them weld some extra mounts on your arms for your shocks, thts what we did w/the 300(he extended the stock arms) as for the rear he made me a lowering bracket too!! So now I run a 2.5"(i think) rear spacers, & on the front I lower it down to the outside mount w/ an offset rim & wholy moly she's about 50-51? depending on what tires I run If it's a TRUE TT track you should be ok cuz you dont' want to be trying to get HUGE air, I ran on a NOT true TT LOL, and man I hit the 1st table top & BAM bottomed the air box right onto the caliper Anyway have fun TT is a blast!! Here's a pic, I think you can see the 2 different mounts on the arms this is w/ it raised up, you can see it'll go out about 2" then sit flat!!
    Back to the ol' Kodiak 4x4 but at least it's a quad!
    00' 426ex
    04' YFZ450
    05' Kasea 70

Better to be a racer for a moment than a spectator for a lifetime!

Dirtmomma can you show a close up pic of those a-arms?Very cool looking ride.A buddy of mine uses the durablue lowering kit in the rear and that works well, and I can use spacers on the rear to widen it, so its mainly the front that I'm concerned with.I am also getting some 18 inch tires for the rear but haven't decided on a front tire size yet,18 or 19?We do have some jumps,nothing huge but I would definetly need more than 2 inches of suspension.I'm also pretty heavy at 200lbs so that doesn't help any.
    2009 Sportsman 500
    04 Viper 90
    07 700 EFI Cat

As you've said for the rear get a durablue strut, and get a set of wheels spacers. As for the front you can soften the front, but do this in steps. The softer you go the more its gonna try to tuck(come up on two wheels) in the corners. As for widening the front, throw some spacers on there too. If your doing just flat track with just mild jumps you should be fine. Its MUCH less hassle then having to break the bead on your tires and welding up the old air stem hole and drilling new ones. As for tires go with a 19"F/18"R set up. This is the shortest tire setup you can get.
    Thanks to my 2010 sponsors/supporters:
    CV4
    BNR Motorsports
    GT Thunder
    Spider Grips
    Scott USA
    Powermadd

"I can do all things through Christ Jesus who strengthens me"

What do you mean by softening the front? I have the shocks on the softest settings if thats what you mean.It still doesn't seem to sag any though when I get on it. Would having it on the softest setting cause it to bicycle and not want to turn?Perhaps I've been setting it up wrong.It came from the dealer with the front shocks set up quite firm and I actually hurt my wrist going over the jumps(we had 3 doubles in a row that I was singleing so I really took a pounding),this was not our normal type of track though. The bike rides much nicer with them set softer but maybe its hurting my cornering?
    2009 Sportsman 500
    04 Viper 90
    07 700 EFI Cat

Nemesis did you get my PM?
    2009 Sportsman 500
    04 Viper 90
    07 700 EFI Cat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast