Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Choices

Choices

OK it is getting close to replacing my 300. Not having ridden a 400ex much and compared to the new Z and it's quality issues what do you all think one vs the other. Mainly heavy trail riding and keeping the front end down on climbs?
    Thanks
    05' Yellow Z434,hotcams, DRZe kit, Kibblewhite valves,Pro armor race nerfs, belly, swing skid,Denton stabilizer, powermadds.FCR39, Full HMF, ESR airbox eliminator. CDI box.C&D rebuilds, Burgard +2 nickel arms, LSR chrome +1 swinger w/ GT Thunder rebuild and link.Burgard black powdered beads/razr2's. Bare gusset frame, super mirrorblack powdered,Pappy stealth black and fire red stuff, Nickel Burgard stem, Lonestar axle. Dr.D reverse,ModQuad billetbling.
    It's all good!

OhioMafiaRiders.com

I just sold my 400EX.The same day I went and got a Z.I dont miss the EX at all.I think the Z is a much better quad for what I do.I hillclimb,trailride.I get the front of the Z up a lil on hillclimbs,but its all good.I feel alot better at climbing hills with the z,than I did the EX.I like the reverse feature of the z,its alot more comfortable on daylong rides.This is all my opinion,but as I said,I have nooooooooooooooo regrets.And it even looks better!!And from what i noticed,the EX's rings must be made of aluminium foil.LOL!!Just about every ex i see,smokes.I took very good care of mine,babied it,and it drank oil anyways!!!I was always a honda guy,but IMO,the 400ex,plainly is way behind the rest of the competition.Look at the '05,its worse,because they coulda done alot of improving,but just added reverse.While the Z,improved a lil over previous years with the 05.I'd say Z400 hands down!!

both are good quads and I have rode both. The Z has everything the honda has plus a little more. Power is not very close. The Z has so much bottom end pull.
    06 LTR450

04 KFX400

05 Xtreme 125cc Pit Bike

I sold my 400ex to get my z400. Handling is much better, as well as the power delivery. Take the 400ex for what it is. Back in 1998 (99 model year) it was the best 400cc out there, but now its 2004 and the z400 has replaced it. Water cooling, reverse, dohc, better power....I love my z400 and won't look back. Sure the Honda's are reliable and used ones are cheaper now than the z400's, but I would rather pony up the few extra bucks for liquid cooling, cams and reverse any day.
    "He who dies with the most toys, wins"

home town, Poland NY College, Blairsville PA
    Go with the Z. I have climbed hils on my friends Z and its awsome. Also it has so much more power than the 400ex, atleast I thought it did. I was really disapointed in the power the 400ex's have.
    Andy

WyoTech....

AIM; District3250rMX
    Yahoo; Gone_Snowboarding06

The '05 Z's are going to be sweet with the better shocks and maybe a little bit more ponies... The TRX450 would get my nod if they add reverse and electric start so that just leaves the Z in a class of it's own.

The Raptor should not be overlooked either, it's probly a larger engine than anyone would want but it doesn't weigh much more than the Z. With all the 450's out or on their way the used Raptors can be had for a song but, if you want to keep the front end down it's not a good choice unless you buy an extended swingarm.
    '03 KFX-400: Yosh RS-3/11k CDI, JD Jet, PRM skid/Smt, Pro-flow, Pingel t-kill, Hmetr, IMS tank, LED tail, Casesaver, Hipers/Razr2's, Hotcams, Houser 1.25"LT, FCR40, PrArmr Nerfs, TT X-bar, ARS/FX +2"LT, +1 stem, Custom Axis, RPM Dom, Oury, Machinist MCCT, (In works: port/polish, 12.1:1, valvesprings, gussets)

Definetly an 05'

Yup if I get the Z it will be a new one, no more used stuff for me!

Thanks so far for the feed back.
    05' Yellow Z434,hotcams, DRZe kit, Kibblewhite valves,Pro armor race nerfs, belly, swing skid,Denton stabilizer, powermadds.FCR39, Full HMF, ESR airbox eliminator. CDI box.C&D rebuilds, Burgard +2 nickel arms, LSR chrome +1 swinger w/ GT Thunder rebuild and link.Burgard black powdered beads/razr2's. Bare gusset frame, super mirrorblack powdered,Pappy stealth black and fire red stuff, Nickel Burgard stem, Lonestar axle. Dr.D reverse,ModQuad billetbling.
    It's all good!

OhioMafiaRiders.com

ive looked at the Z400 and the 400EX for a little bit now and from all the stuff i read on exriders i think the Z400 is a better quad. i was shootin for a 400ex but now i am hands down getting a Z400 for my birthday. i dont really like the looks to much on the 05 400ex's, and if i buy a quad its going to be new not used so that leaves me with the Z400. just my opinions.
    JAMES

2004 Black SE YFZ450 Fasst Flexx Bars | Namura High comp. piston | DID heavy duty cam chain | GYTR Kicker| SS brake lines| GYTR pipe & filter | DG fat nerfs | Full skid plates | AC Grab bar | 4 razr 2s on ITP rims| Gibson steering stabilizer | DOXO graphics | Pro Armor bumper | powermadds

2004 Yellow LTZ400 - White bros slip on | uni filter w/ outerwears & no lid | Fly ATV bars | denton steering stabilizer | Klaw Fronts & Knarly Rears | Works Shocks

1972 Kawasaki 100
    1993 Chevy S10 Pickup
    AIM Walls450

Werd

Yup it is looking that way for me too, the dark side.
    It's all good!

OhioMafiaRiders.com

Yep, I'm leaning toward the Z also. I'm wondering if the '05 is worth paying more for. Better shocks, throttle position carb/ignition, some magnesium and aluminum parts to make it a bit lighter too.
    The dealers here are selling the '04 for 5400 out the door (includes 8.25% tax plus license). I bet they'll ask 400 or 500 more for an '05. Is it worth it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast