Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: 2004 Maxxis 12 Hours of Pont de Vaux, France

Chad and Tavis were running right up front on their YFZ and seemed to be pacing themselves to finish strong at the end. Here is their night session rider change.
    Attached Images Attached Images

At the end of the night session the top 3 remained the same; with Eichner/Mitchell accumulating a massive 5 lap lead! Mike Walsh's team had moved into 4th overall, and our team was 7th. The last 4 hour session was run from 12-4pm on Sunday under clear skies. We had lost some time in the pits and Cale's palms were blistered badly, so we knew the last session would be a tough one. Cale was doing our starts due to his mx background. He would cut through the pack quickly at the start and was turning super-fast lap times; but his pace played havoc on his hands. The medic tried to wrap them but it was too bad. I started the last session and had moved up into the top ten when our quad ran out fuel at the end of the pit straight. I pushed it back to the pits, refueled, and did back to back 1 1/2 hour stints. When I got off the quad for the last time, I was done! Paul Rowlands (who had a knee injury going into this race and didn't ride with a thumb throttle) pulled out the stops and finished the race with super-consistent lap times to put us back up to 11th in the session and 6th overall.

Doug Eichner and John Mitchell win it! Their Duncan/ATV World Laeger Banshee took them to the overall win. Their lead was 6 laps over Mike Walsh's KTM. Stephene Petehansel dropped back to 7th and Lassaigne's Banshee broke near the end. Tavis and Chad's YFZ stopped in the last session also; a tough break for the talented duo who ran so close to the front the whole race. The other Duncan/ATV World YFZ of Tordoff/Baldwin/Maessen came back to finish 4th after breaking a rear shock during the first session. Paul Winrow's KIK Honda Racing UK 450r narrowly beat us to 5th place at the finish; and both our teams finished on the same lap after 12 hours of racing! This win was Eichner's sixth PDV overall.

Here's the top three teams. From L to R: Team Moto and Co./Yamaha Motor France riders Romain Couprie and Pascal DePalma in 3rd; Duncan/ATV World riders Eichner and Mitchell in 1st; and Mike Walsh's Team Quad Briel in 2nd.

Our Duncan/ATV World TRX450R took our mostly rookie team to 6th overall against some of the world's fastest riders and quads.

These are the top three Women's teams on the podium.

Many thanks to Paul Rowlands for encouraging me to race the PDV and sponsoring the team. Paul is a class act and a dedicated racer. Cale set fast lap times for our team and excelled at the starts; good luck in the GNC's! I can't thank my sponsors enough: ATV World/Duncan/DirtFirst/Elka/Fox/Motorcycle Factory/IMS/Roll. I'm looking to come back next year with some experience and get on the podium. This is how I spent my summer vacation.

Originally posted by Andy Lagzdins
    Moto and Co./Yamaha Motor France fielded this fleet of immaculate YFZ's.
    what kind of tires are those.
    2005 black honda 450r, not quite stock.
    Shootin for 50 on pump gas

Andy,

Great job on the finish. It's nice to see a few other GNCC'ers out trying some different forms of ATV racing. I also look forward to going back next year and suggest others give it a try too....

Mike Novak

Great work Andy...... Excellant write up and photo coverage.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast