Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2004 Maxxis 12 Hours of Pont de Vaux, France

Thanks for the props, guys. I'm hoping to get a ride for the Iowa race; Duncan is not entering any teams as far as I know.

Here is the quad that we rode at PDV. It was a brand new 450r with mild motorwork (HRC kit, FatBoy4 pipe, K&N filter, Vortex ignition). The frame had fresh powder on it, Laeger +3 pro-trax frontend and Laeger swingarm. Elka suspension and linkage, PEP style dampner, AC nerfs, tall seat foam with a custom cover, and various small detail parts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is the top of our seat cover that had our names embroidered in it. Very nice touch!

Checking out the track the day before practice, some sections were underwater! I was thinking that it may be a mud race, but the rain stayed away. The promoters had water trucks that sucked the puddles dry and left the track ready to ride on!

On Saturday morning, the track was a little soggy, but ready to start practice on. You can see some of the 120 pit areas in the background. Every team entered in the race had a designated pit area numbered just for them. The pit straight was approximately 3/8 mile long total.

Here's a good view of the pit straight, on the right hand side of the photo. We were coming down the straight towards the camera in this view.

This view is from the end of the pit straight. We ran 16/38 gearing with 18" rear tires and the quad was wide open in 5th gear for what seemed like forever. My team manager advised me to back off a bit near the end of the straight, but that only lasted a few laps! I picked out a braking marker that I used almost the whole time; if I waited until my marker to brake I had just enough track left to hit the inside of the turn spot on under hard braking. I passed many riders here.

This is one of three very long straightaways that ran around the perimeter of a corn field. All three were 5th gear straights. The turns here were all 90 degree and became very chopped up with braking and acceleration bumps throughout them. The straights had usually two or three lines that were smoother than the others. Picking lines in traffic was very important because if someone was racing with you and you picked a line with a lapper in it, you would be stuck behind the lapper while the guy behind you motored on past in a clear line. It took some balls and some luck to cross these ruts at high spped (55-65 mph?).

This is a view of the track from the one of the two largest jumps on the track. One was a 3rd gear tabletop and the other was a 4th gear single. They were right after one another.

That looks like a lot of fun!!! I would love to have the chance to compete in something like that! was there a width limit for the quads? those things look really wide!!!! Congrats on the finish!

The tech inspection was located in the middle of town. You could trailer your quad down or ride it if you wanted to. This is where riders signed in and the entire srew received passes to the track; complete with photo. After tech ended, every team (starting with #120 first) was asked to ride their quad up onto a podium with a french-speaking announcer. The team members stood on the podium while the announcer yelled some unintelligable stuff and the crowd cheered. Our turn didn't come up until about 10:30 at night and we had to race the next day! The square where this took place was filled with spectators and people were hanging out at the restaurants and pubs all around drinking and having a good time.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast