Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: engine prep for mx

engine prep for mx

I am wanting to start doing MX with my 400ex and right now its stock except for jetting and slip on. I know I need to get some suspension first but as for the engine, what do you guys suggest that I do? I want to know so I can start my piggy bank up to pay for this crap.
    2004 400EX Red
    DG Nerf bars
    WB E-Series Slip-on, no discs, no spark arrestor
    K&N Filter with Outerwears
    Dynojet 138 main and stock pilot jets

Bore kit (416-440), stage 2 cam, high compression piston, porting and polishing, 39mm carb, and a full exhaust will make a huge difference.
    Neal C. Tody - ntadej@hotmail.com
    -2005 SE Yamaha YFZ450 - Pro Design Pro-Flow Intake, Renthal YFZ Bend Handlebars, AC Bumper, AC Nerfs, Holeshot MX 20" fronts and 18" rears, +2 Burgard Standard A-arms, +4 G-Force Axle, front shocks with the DeRisi Racing Pro Millenium Kit valved for MX (Would never recommend to anyone).
    -2000 Banshee - Found. Damn meth heads even destroyed my brand new engine. They've still got my HiPers too, SOB.

I have a 04 model and I've read everywhere that the carb is a 38mm, you think that it should be changed?
    2004 400EX Red
    DG Nerf bars

Originally posted by MrTrendy1
    I have a 04 model and I've read everywhere that the carb is a 38mm, you think that it should be changed?
    It's a typo, the carb is still a 35.5 I believe? Or something like that...go with the 39mm, it's an awesome upgrade, especially with all the mods that I listed. My friend has that set-up with a 416 kit, it pulls like a mother!
    -2005 SE Yamaha YFZ450 - Pro Design Pro-Flow Intake, Renthal YFZ Bend Handlebars, AC Bumper, AC Nerfs, Holeshot MX 20" fronts and 18" rears, +2 Burgard Standard A-arms, +4 G-Force Axle, front shocks with the DeRisi Racing Pro Millenium Kit valved for MX (Would never recommend to anyone).
    -2000 Banshee - Found. Damn meth heads even destroyed my brand new engine. They've still got my HiPers too, SOB.

I was thinking I'd probably go 416/426 first off. Did your friend have his done by someone or do it himself?
    2004 400EX Red
    DG Nerf bars

My friend did it all himself, even the porting and polishing. He was only 15/16 when he did all of that too. As long as you know what you're doing, and you have a manual (don't NEED it, but it helps a lot for quick reference), you can do a lot of things.

I'll do most of the mechanics myself but as for the machining, I'll take it to someone. I don't have the equipment to bore my cylinder out or port and polish it. What exactly is porting and polishing?
    2004 400EX Red
    DG Nerf bars

Originally posted by MrTrendy1
    I'll do most of the mechanics myself but as for the machining, I'll take it to someone. I don't have the equipment to bore my cylinder out or port and polish it. What exactly is porting and polishing?
    You smooth out the intake so the air/fuel mixture can move faster and there is less resistance, aka: allows more HP to be produced faster.

Thats what I figured it was. I'll have to find me someone to do the machine work here locally. Hopefully all of this won't cost me to much and I can get this stuff done fast.
    2004 400EX Red
    DG Nerf bars

get an air filter and go with the 426...web cam port adn polish korilla rod adn a hi rev cdi sheel haul u ne were
    2002 400ex>>>>>>>>>John Deere Green PC Frame,Gussetted, Houser +2,+0, HMF, AC Racing Nerf Bar W/ D.C.R.P Kick-Ups, Wiseco 440, Ported & Polished, Elka Fronts, RPM Dominator Axle, RPM Anit-Fade, PRM Grab Bar & Bumper, UNI Air Filter No Lid Custom Airbox Tabs, Douglas Black Label Beadlocks w/ James Lucky Reinforcing Ring, MSR Raptor Shorty Perch And Lever, Motion Pro Clutch And Throttle Cable, R.A.D. Tapered Bearing Carrier, Tag Bars, O.D.I Lock Clamp Grips, L.S.R. P.B. Block-Off, DID X-Ring Chain, Pro Design Tether, Dirt Bike Starter Button, Removed Choked, YUASA Fire Power battery, Armor Tech Rev Box, Black Maier Race Fronts & Rear Fenders, Streamline Steel Braided Breaklines, Nacs Mud Caps, Mod Quad Breather Tube, Omf Seat Bracket, Moose Aluminum Case Saver, Shock Pros Shock Covers

Great Lakes Quad Series

Sponsors:
    www.artssnowmobileandatv.com
    *Tim Smith Construction
    *Turk's B.B.C. Tap & Grill

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast