Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which gear to start in at the gate

Which gear to start in at the gate

OK, in MX racing with our quad mod'ed like it is and 15X36 gearing what gear should we be starting in to get the hole shot?
    '02 Walsh/Cannondale 450 stroker
    '04 Walsh/YFZ stroker 488
    We race NEATV-MX, Nationals
    Quad #49

Pending on traction, if it is sand or something your tires will spine, i like to start in 2nd and just hold it wide open lean forward and let it rip. for hard packed i like to start in 1st and the shift as quikly as possible out of the gate.
    Some people do it differently but it up to you and how you fell you do best.
    Bro
    07 Honda
    04 Honda

Timo Nielsen: CMRC ATV Intermediate class #99

First of all the best gearing for mx if your running mx tires like holeshots, or turftammers it either a 15/38 or 39. I usually take off in first and this weekend I was smoking 250rs and raptors out of the gate.
    2007 Honda 450ER W/ White plastic- Houser Slicast Longtravel +2 A-arms, Axis Triple rate shocks w/ rezzy's, Houser +1 steering stem, Stremline steel braded brack lines front & rear, Nac's case saver, PEP steering dampner, Tag T2 chrome handlebars, Works connetion pro perch clutch lever, IMS/Roll powermadd handgaurds, Houser Graphics Kit, Houser #plate backgrounds, Douglas ultimate front w/ groved radials, Douglas ultimate beadlocks rear with Maxxis MX tires, Lonestar +2+2 Axle & anti fade lock nut, AC racing black line front bumber, AC racing black line nerfs w/ relocated pegs, AC racing rear grab bar powdercoated black, Pro design kill switch, Pro design pro flow kit w/ K&N filter & outerwears wrap, Honda CRF cam, Sparks full exhast, Quadtech hood scoop.

2007 Sponsors- Houser Racing, Nac's, K&K Racing, IMS-ROLL, Tag-Metals, Quadtech, Lonestar Racing, Outterwears.

That must be a short track you are on. I run 16/37 on my quad. Gives me a holeshot speed and able to corner like an 250R.
    DIRT is a fun four letter word.

I am retired from ATV Racing!!!!

getting it together

Well we had one **** of a day racing here in Dist 34. We run what you brung here. There were 18 of us in expert. We finished 4th over all. In novice we had three qualifiers taking the top 7 from each. Great day of racing. Started at 10 AM ended at 8 PM

But anyway we need 15X36 and we are near maxing out in 5th in two spots on the track. We now feel that we are just being out gunned. The quads that beat us today were Mike Walsh on his 250R that you know is maxed out, another 250R 330 power valve and and another pro national guy on a 250R. So we are happy with our results now and are just trying to decide between a Cannondale or a 450F either destroked or sleeved.
    '02 Walsh/Cannondale 450 stroker
    '04 Walsh/YFZ stroker 488
    We race NEATV-MX, Nationals
    Quad #49

I just went to the 15 - 36 gearing and like it much better than the 15 - 38,,not so much low-end torque,,but still hammer out of the corners and bog it a gear high through corners..

HEY

MITYMO, SO YOU RECCOMEND A 16/37 FOR MX RAICNG?
    what?

Depends on motor work. A built motor will run a 16/36-38 depending on track. A stock or mild motor will react better to a 15/36-38 depending on track. Mo
    DIRT is a fun four letter word.

I am retired from ATV Racing!!!!

I say for mx there are a few options depending on what you want 14/37 is also another good setup for mx thats what the pros usually run.
    2007 Honda 450ER W/ White plastic- Houser Slicast Longtravel +2 A-arms, Axis Triple rate shocks w/ rezzy's, Houser +1 steering stem, Stremline steel braded brack lines front & rear, Nac's case saver, PEP steering dampner, Tag T2 chrome handlebars, Works connetion pro perch clutch lever, IMS/Roll powermadd handgaurds, Houser Graphics Kit, Houser #plate backgrounds, Douglas ultimate front w/ groved radials, Douglas ultimate beadlocks rear with Maxxis MX tires, Lonestar +2+2 Axle & anti fade lock nut, AC racing black line front bumber, AC racing black line nerfs w/ relocated pegs, AC racing rear grab bar powdercoated black, Pro design kill switch, Pro design pro flow kit w/ K&N filter & outerwears wrap, Honda CRF cam, Sparks full exhast, Quadtech hood scoop.

2007 Sponsors- Houser Racing, Nac's, K&K Racing, IMS-ROLL, Tag-Metals, Quadtech, Lonestar Racing, Outterwears.

Here found a gear ratio chart for ya

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast