Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WD-40 safe?

Originally posted by KY Woods Rider
    There are people on both sides of this issue. I happen to be one of the ones that says it's fine. I don't use it all the time though, but any time I know it's going to be really dusty I use WD-40 instead of chain lube because the WD-40 doesn't attract dust and dirt to the chain as badly. My opinion is that I'd rather have the WD-40 on my o-rings than a bunch of dirt getting ground into my chain and sprockets.
    How do you like your honda forman. I am thinking of trading my 03 400ex in on one. Have any problems with it yet. Thanks for the info.
    laeger 250rx

wow, maybe im an idoit, i just use axle grease and coat my chain with it, i do coat everything minus the plastic chain and engine with wd, nothing really sticks to it. i also learned that from the sprint car guys. some of them use wd when they put on decals, they can move the decals around and place them wherever they need to be and then when the wd drys they stick
    '04 DVX400-Full skids, Bumper and nerfs
    ID RATHER HAVE A SISTER IN A WHORE HOUSE THAN A BROTHER IN A FORD!!!!

wd-40 works great on rubber. i use it on chains and for mounting tires installing hoses stopping rust. i go through alot of it and never had a complaint.
    2006 LT-R450 Yoshi RS-5, Cherry bomb, Hypers, RAZRs

Love to ride in WV

doesnt wd40 contain some kerosen (sp)
    Houser Framed Honda CRF450 Hybrid
    Everything houser, Everything custom axis, or walsh, Titanium TC exhaust, etc etc

I never tryed it but I guess I will have to give ita try. I use tire cleaner on my plastics and it makes them look like new you don't see the small scratches.
    2002 300EX

Yea just go with the wd 40 and get rid of jr.(hes out of the points now go cry)

You don't really need to "lube" an o-ring chain, they are internally lubricated. What you are looking for is a corrosion barrier. I like stuff like Chain Wax. If you put it on fairly carefully and let it dry, it's not too messy, and it will stay on the chain for a long time.
    '00 416ex -- 11:1 Wiseco, stage 1 HotCams, LEXX slip-on w/ modded header, ASR +2 arms, 450r shocks, G-Force axle, FST style cooler, Trail Tech bars and clamp

Temporarily retired from my extremely short (but successful) racing career.

Maybe some IXCR in the near future.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. - Thomas Jefferson

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
    -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

From experiance, Chain Wax does nothing for displacing water, or preventing corrosion. I've never seen WD 40 hurt orings at all in one season............I use WD-40 on pneumatic (air)cylinders and switches at work all the time to lube the o-rings, and no problems at all.
    Rider11x

2001 Honda 400ex XC Racer (SOLD)

2006 Yamaha Grizzly Realtree Camo

*Donegal Yamaha and Polaris*
    ****Tell them I sent ya!*****

wd-40

hi there im not sure that wd-40 affects the o-rings in the chain (i all ways use belray chainlube but get the clear lube cause the white one is a mess) but when you clean your quad spray it in pro-clean after you have washed the mud off and when its dry soak the plastics and engine in wd-40 it makes your quad look new!!!

wow, i started this thread a year ago and it still hanging around!! well in the last year, i have awnsered my own question. wd-40 is the best thing you can use-in my opinion. there are several of us who ride together that all have tried other things and wd-40 seems to be the best all around chain lube.
    03 Yellow EX
    Hotcam Stage 2
    K&N-mod air box
    White Bros CDI
    Renthal bars
    LRD Full System
    DynoJet Kit-165 main
    15/38 gearing
    air scoops
    AC aluminum front bumper
    AC racing nerf bars
    Works Triple Rates