Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange YFZ problem today

Strange YFZ problem today

Yesterday I started my YFZ after it sat for 2 weeks due to the birth of my daughter. I let it run for 5 minutes then stand for 5 minutes to check the oil. I was planning on riding it today. I checked the oil and it was in perfect operating range. I then started it back up and rode it around the yard then to my trailer. I loaded it up in neutral and tied it down.

I went to ride it today - went to my usual spot about 5 miles away. Took it off the trailer and tried to start it. Just a loud click from the starter relay. I thought maybe it was the battery even though I have a 400ex battery and it started fine the day before. The taillight was even very bright. I loaded back up and took it home to charge the battery. I charged it for about 2 hours and came back out to find that it still clicked. Then for some reason I put it into gear and pulled the clutch in to see if rolling it or moving the gears a little would help. To my suprise it was VERY difficult to push around. It was easier to push in the higher gears. I then got it to turn over but it was very labored and slow and would wear the battery out quickly. Almost as if the clutch was out of it or the compression was out of control. It moves very easily in neutral but not in gear with the clutch engaged. I even tried to adjust the clutch on the handlebars with no luck. The only unusual thing that happened was that I let it sit on the trailer in about a tenth of an inch of rain this morning. But washing it would make it wetter anyway.

I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow but I thought you guys might have some answers. Thankfully it's under warranty still but I have a race this weekend too. I've never had to take any quad of mine to the dealer yet. I wish I could figure this one out. Any ideas?

I thought I would drain the oil and see if it does any different w/o oil but I don't know what else to try. You're also supposed to start it and let it run a little before you change the oil which I can't do either.
    Please help.
    2004 Honda 450R
    2002 Kawasaki P650

Hmmm sorry I haven't heard of that problem.Did you say it would start in neutral?I would take to the dealer myself,sorry I couldn't help.
    Big B

no start in neutral either. one day start one day locked up? nothing but loading it onto trailer in between. i'm just confused.
    2004 Honda 450R
    2002 Kawasaki P650

um.... my moms raptor she was riding just died and we found out we had a loose connection in the battery. But Im not really sure sorry.

I would defnintely guess it to be something electrical. Being hard to push while in gear with the clutch pulled in could be a worn clutch or (more likely) that your plates are stuck together a little.

If it won't start when it's in neutral, I'd look at the battery again - or some other electrical component.

you may be right. i jumped the positive on the battery to the starter and it didn't move. then i took off the starter clutch and all the gears inside moved freely including the starter. i also tested the battery and it came back 12.75 volts and the wire to the top of the starter came back 12.25 so it's getting power. i'm thinking starter. the clutch thing just worried me. we'll find out today i guess. just hope he can get it fixed by this weekend! thanks for the help y'all.
    2004 Honda 450R
    2002 Kawasaki P650

it shouldn't push easy in gear with the clutch pulled it when it is cold. once it's warmed up you can push it.
    06 yfz450
    07 250ex
    05 kasea 90

run a check of every wire on that quad. ive had several people complain of no starts and when they took the time to check they found a loose connection.

the last person had the same symptoms has you have explained so maybe its an easy fix
    Staff Photographer ATVRiders.com
    Senior Photographer ATVInsider
    Staff Photographer GNCC Racing/ATV MX
    Staff Photographer Vurboffroad
    Staff Photographer Cycle News

there a lil black wire coming off the ground wire on the battery. make sure that its plugged in at the connection!!

that causes all kindsa problems not grounding!!
    www.wesbolt.com
    www.atvriders.com
    RAGE ATV
    lonestarquadracing.com

there a lil black wire coming off the ground wire on the battery. make sure that its plugged in at the connection!! that causes all kindsa problems not grounding!!

YES IT DOES!!!!!!!!!! also check to make sure you have not got a lot of dirt or water in you starter button housing. that is a yamaha problem!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast