Thread: Valve Adjustment

Question Valve Adjustment

Just wondering how important getting the valves adjusted is and if there is a way to tell if they need adjusted. Also how much does it usually cost at the dealerships.

60.00 here at my dealer to adjust the valves and change oil.
    Jared-----
    2004 CRF 50
    2005 400ex

It is easy to do yourself, I can't see paying someone 60 dollars when you can DIY for 10 dollars and about 30-40 min of your time. If you go into the EX Tech section it explains how to change your oil and adjust the valves.
    2001 416EX with Sparks X-6, FCR 39mm, ELKA Triple rates with cans, Burgard +3+1 A-Arms, Elka Linkage with Custom Axis Rear shock, Denton Steering Stabilizer, WISECO 87mm 11:1 with Hotcams Stage II, FDO Heavy Duty Head Studs, WB Rev Box, K&N Air Filter, Cascade Parking Brake Blockoff, AC racing Pro Peg nerfs, Renthal Sprockets, Renthal bars, DG bumper, DG Swing arm Skid, RPM 2+2 axle, speed locknut, Magura Jack Hydraulic Clutch

1988 TRX350R ported by NRPD, ESR TRX5, PWK 38mm A/S, Gibson Long Travel A-Arms, Elka Quad Rate longtravels, Laeger Swinger, ESR reed block

2007 CBR1000RR, Akrapovic Full Race, Comp Werks FE, DynoJet PCIII, ShoGun Sliders

You can tell when they need to be done.. you will here a clicking noise, or like a slight rattle I guess it might sound like. when it is loose enough that you would have to adjust them. Your honda manual comes with the specs for the adjustment I think it is .004 intake and .005 exhaust? It might be the other way around......

Just get a feller gauge and check in FAQ they have an illistrated guide to do it yourself. I had a harder time getting the spark plug out of my 400 than changing the valves
    426ex.. sold