Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keep my R or get a new 450

Keep my R or get a new 450

I have an 87 250r. I have about three grand in it. Would I be crazy to spend about $3500 dollars on it for some elkas, a-arms, and ESR 310 kit. Or would I be better off selling it and buying a new 450r. I am going to try to ride a couple of mx and xc races a year, but mostly I will be just riding on a private track and going to the badlands with friends. What do you guts think?

Thanks!
    '87 250r for sale
    '04 Kawasaki KFX700 - The Faster Orange One

guys, not guts

sorry about the spelling
    '87 250r for sale

unless you have to have a new quad...i say put the money into your quad and have fun modding and riding it
    Staff Photographer ATVRiders.com
    Senior Photographer ATVInsider
    Staff Photographer GNCC Racing/ATV MX
    Staff Photographer Vurboffroad
    Staff Photographer Cycle News

ESR 265 PV or 310

What kind of HP can I expect out of these two kits with an fmf Fatty pipe?

Which is more ridable?
    '87 250r for sale

i cant help you with HP #'s however,

i have owned and riden both a 265, 265 pv and a 310 and a 310 pv and all far exceeded the stock R engine. the PV deffinatley helps smooth out the hit and makes the quad more ridable and may produce a touch more power.
    Staff Photographer ATVRiders.com
    Senior Photographer ATVInsider
    Staff Photographer GNCC Racing/ATV MX
    Staff Photographer Vurboffroad
    Staff Photographer Cycle News

get a 450r if you will have enough $$ to mod it after.... if you dont and the 450 would be stock, then keep the 250r and mod it more.
    -2011 CRF450R
    -2003 Cannondale Moto
    -1996 GSXR 1100
    -1987 TRX350 foreman :-)
    -1985 TRX250 fourtrax
    www.bvcracing.com

Mod out yoru 250r and ride it man. The 250r's are almost fully custom quads, and they always catch peoples eyes! about the PV kits, If your not racing alot, i would just go with a 265PV they sorta seem to be alittle bit more reliable. But it is a 2-stroke, and they need a ton more maintnece than any 4-stroke your buddie ride.

have fun on the R man
    05 Gt Thunder Trx490r
    WHITEHORSE RACING
    RISSLER EXTEREME ATV
    PRM, AXE racing, FASST bars, GPR, IMS-Roll, DID chains, HRC, JT sprockets, GT Thunder link, Hipers, Maxxis, Tire Balls, Custom Axis, LSR (stem,arms swinger carrier hubs), Axecalliber axil, QuadTech, T&T Racing, Spider, UNI, Pivot works, mxprographx,

WHITEHORSE RACING Trx416ex
    Razor 2's 23"-22"s,IMS tank,Galfer Steal Brake Lines,Denton Stabilizer,Herrmann +1 swingarm,Herrmann Racing Seat latch,Hotcams Stage one,Port and polish,Dynojets,Wesico,Tag Bars,PRM Bumper,PRM Skids,Rad carriers,Spyder grips,All Balls,LRD Exhaust,Green Frame,Stock Red Front Plastic,Gray Maier Rear Plastics ,Elkas Shocks Up Front,STocker Rear Shock,Blown elka rear in the shop!

Knox Racing 1987 trx250r (under construction)

yeah stick with what you've got, i have a 300cc duncan powervalve and its got the power to beat any 450. if you bought the 450 you would also want to spend the bucks to get it up to par, so id stick with what you have. i also have been wondering what to do, but ive got too much invested to let go, and besides 250rs rule dude!!!
    250r's rule, live by the rule.

Hell, you can own 2 quads for the price of a new 4 stroke. I keep a Banshee and R around and still cheaper than a YZF450.

Where do you go riding in the black hills?

I could see the advantage of a 4 stroke with some low end grunt for the hills. I do have to admit my fathers 400ex is mellow and can be lugged in comparison to the R. R's are cheap right now, buy another one and enjoy it. My feeling is that you will always long for the hit of a 2 stroke after you get a 4 stroke.
    1988 TRX 250R
    Durablue axle
    Laeger +2+1 arms
    Works front shocks
    NOSS head
    Curtis Sparks pipe
    Ported/Polished

If it were me in my situation, I would put the money into the R....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast