Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 416 or 440 for mx racing

416 or 440 for mx racing

i race mx in alabama and my stock 400 just wont keep up on the straights with these new 450's...i have heard some good things about the 416 kit....i have heard some good things about the 440 kit also....i am just wanting some other opinions on what i should go with....from what i have studied when you go to the 440 kit you get a lot of endependability, unlike with the 416...any input will be appreciated

I have the 416 with the hot cam stg II and its faster than the 450's I race. Even after the races I let the guy ride it, and he said it felt like it had more power than his 450(thats stock) Also I believe the 416 will rev faster than the 440, and its more dependable.
    Nick Reid

Special Thanks Goes To C&D Racing!

Originally posted by hondarider2006
    I have the 416 with the hot cam stg II and its faster than the 450's I race. Even after the races I let the guy ride it, and he said it felt like it had more power than his 450(thats stock) Also I believe the 416 will rev faster than the 440, and its more dependable.
    a fully built 416, couldn't even kiss a 450's *****
    2005 Yamaha YFZ450
    AIM= EXMX54

Originally posted by Florida400EX
    a fully built 416, couldn't even kiss a 450's *****
    ^^ just what I was thinking

Go for a 426... right in the middle of both of em'. You Will have a built/powerfull motor, and if it blow you still have room to go bigger..

i can only speak for a 426 and 440. both are fully built and both of us are getting better starts than most of the 450s. the 450's that have gone into the engine and put different cams and pistons we have trouble with but other than that we can hang with them if not beat them. my cosuins CT racing filly buit 440 is about the same as my baldwin 426 power wise, mine just revs quicker which give me the advantage. some people complain about head gasktes blowing but my cosuin has never had any trouble. there was also another 440 their, i dont know what all was done to it but my 426 was pulling it on the straights.
    yfz450, TC, Leager, HIPER, PEP, K&K, LSR, TAG, AC, DENTON, VORTEX,DG

400ex tcs shocks (f) good condition $375
    400ex JD Performance +2 swingarm for sale $500

I wonder what the point of building a 440 engine is? Everytime I see it compared to something on here it is called unreliable an slow. I'm not talking about this thread in particular but all I see is negative neagative negative. Does the 44o have its place or should we petition JE and wiseco and tell them to only make 416 and 426 becasue 440 are slow and blow up. I currently have a nice 03 400 I got from nastynochback and I was planning on putting a 440 kit in it that i already have installed purchased and intalled in the sleeve but if they are just as bad as everyon says I am going to used it as a paper weight.
    Finally got a 450r!

My 416 was a little bit faster than my 440, but my 416 had a 13:1 piston and my 440 was only at 11:1.

I'm having a headgasket problem with the 416 now, but never did with the 440.

by the time your done pissing away money on a 400ex trying to get to the power of a 450, you could have bought the 450 and saved the headache of the overheating, holeshots, and corners. The chance of getting a 400ex to get near the power of a 450 is small, and if you get that small chance, they will start to loose power halfway through the moto, because they are air cooled. If all out power is what you are looking for, and if your at the same skill levals of the 450 riders, you arent going to win. Only way people win on 400ex's, is from rider skill.
    2005 Yamaha YFZ450
    AIM= EXMX54

Originally posted by Florida400EX
    by the time your done pissing away money on a 400ex trying to get to the power of a 450, you could have bought the 450 and saved the headache of the overheating, holeshots, and corners. The chance of getting a 400ex to get near the power of a 450 is small, and if you get that small chance, they will start to loose power halfway through the moto, because they are air cooled. If all out power is what you are looking for, and if your at the same skill levals of the 450 riders, you arent going to win. Only way people win on 400ex's, is from rider skill.
    Very well put!

Well I've dragged raced my 416 multiple times against a stock YFZ (I mean 100% stock including exhaust, jetting, skids and tires, etc). They were about dead even and he is about 20 lbs lighter than me. Not to mention that I have full skids (a-arms skids too), big heavy tires (6-ply 22's rear, 23's up front), etc. So my quad is significantly heavier than his and prob geared a bit taller (due to the tires) and we were even. I'm pretty happy. Now as soon as he jets and pipes that thing, it's all over for me!!!
    Ross 416 Kit 11.2:1 piston
    Hot Cams Stage II Cam
    Ported Head & Valve Job
    GT Thunder 8 Plate Clutch+PE Billet Basket
    GT Thunder CDI
    Sparks X-6 Full Exhaust
    40mm FCR Carb
    FST-Type Aux Oil Cooler
    EHS Racing Airbox Lid
    Clarke 5.5 Gal Fuel Tank
    ITP T9 - Baja Rims and XCT Tires
    DeRisi Triple Rate Shocks w Rezzies