Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil

Oil

Ok so I just got my 400ex acouple of weeks ago and I was told the previous owner was using a synthetic racing oil. I was wondering what the advantages and disadvantages of this oil are, and where and what type do I buy. I was also told that the sythetic oil gives the quad a nice humming sound kinda like that of a supercharged car but not as extreme is this true.

the synthetic definately won't supercharge the bike.

the synthetic oils will last longer and will withstand high heat better. overall, it is a better oil. some aren't safe for wet clutches, so watch what you buy.
    2005 450r

*sold* 2001 400ex

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right."

"A leader will take you where you want to go. A great leader will not necessarily take you where you want to go but where you ought to be."

"If you want to do something, you will find a way; if you don't, you'll find and excuse!"

"Its not aptitude but attitude that determines your altitude."

I know it won't supercharge it but its gives it the whin like on.

So what do I buy?

Synthetic oil will not change the sound at all. Alot of people will tell you to use Mobile One Red Cap, but don't. Car oils are not formulated for a transmission. Just use Honda GN4 oil, will do you fine.
    '06 450ER

- Rossier Exhaust
    - Moose Foam Filter
    - HRC Needle
    - Skat Trak Haulers

I was thinking about using the Mobil 1 MX4T next change but man that stuff is expensive.
    06 Raptor 700R
    HMF full exhaust
    Pro Flow K&N
    Dobeck TFI
    GYTR skid

Originally posted by 04EXdude
    I was thinking about using the Mobil 1 MX4T next change but man that stuff is expensive.
    Don't use an autonobile oil. it is for a motor, not a motor and a transmission too.
    '06 450ER

- Rossier Exhaust
    - Moose Foam Filter
    - HRC Needle
    - Skat Trak Haulers

Originally posted by 04'400ex'er
    Synthetic oil will not change the sound at all. Alot of people will tell you to use Mobile One Red Cap, but don't. Car oils are not formulated for a transmission. Just use Honda GN4 oil, will do you fine.
    Mobil 1 red cap is perfectly fine for a quad. It doesn't have any friction modifiers in it like other automobile synthetics. Also Honda GN4 is the worst oil i have ever used. Breaks down really fast if you ride hard. Stick to synthetics. I would recommend either the Mobil 1 or Amsoil which I use.
    05' YFZ450
    BUB complete ti/carbon exhaust
    K&N

*FOR SALE*03' 416ex
    LRD full system, Rev Box, Cam,Valve Job, Jet Kit, K&N filter, Motion Pro twist throttle, AC front bumper, DG Alloy Series Nerf Bars, On-Dunes Performance light covers, Works Shocks, Lonestar axle, Douglas Beadlocks

Don't use an autonobile oil. it is for a motor, not a motor and a transmission too.
    No man, MX4T is mobil 1's 4 stroke motorcycle oil. Its either a full synthetic or a blend (can't remember which) but the stuffs like $8 or $9 a quart or litre.
    06 Raptor 700R
    HMF full exhaust
    Pro Flow K&N
    Dobeck TFI
    GYTR skid

Originally posted by Evan400ex
    Mobil 1 red cap is perfectly fine for a quad. It doesn't have any friction modifiers in it like other automobile synthetics. Also Honda GN4 is the worst oil i have ever used. Breaks down really fast if you ride hard. Stick to synthetics. I would recommend either the Mobil 1 or Amsoil which I use.
    Sounds like you are a professional Mobile one red cap user. Correct me if i am wrong. I think I will just try and put oil that is DESIGNED for an atv engine in my fourwheeler. If you want to cut corners on your machine then feel free, but I am going to let everyone know what they are buying.
    '06 450ER

- Rossier Exhaust
    - Moose Foam Filter
    - HRC Needle
    - Skat Trak Haulers

Sounds like you are a professional Mobile one red cap user. Correct me if i am wrong. I think I will just try and put oil that is DESIGNED for an atv engine in my fourwheeler. If you want to cut corners on your machine then feel free, but I am going to let everyone know what they are buying.
    Like I said before. The mobil 1 red cap does not have any friction modifiers in it. So it is fine for wet clutch applications. The majority of the people on this web site use the Mobil 1 and all I have heard about it is good things. And it is not cutting corners on your machine. Synthetics are the best thing you can run in a quad. If anything your cutting corners using Honda GN4
    05' YFZ450
    BUB complete ti/carbon exhaust
    K&N

*FOR SALE*03' 416ex
    LRD full system, Rev Box, Cam,Valve Job, Jet Kit, K&N filter, Motion Pro twist throttle, AC front bumper, DG Alloy Series Nerf Bars, On-Dunes Performance light covers, Works Shocks, Lonestar axle, Douglas Beadlocks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast