Thread: Do you really have too break in a cam?

Question Do you really have too break in a cam?

I wanna put an XR400 cam in this week. Do I really have to break it in, and how long.
    Mods: K&N, Jets (42 pilot 172 main and needle raised), No air box lid, TC Racing GNCC Cam, JE 425 11:1 piston, Big Gun full exhaust, PRM skids, Renthal Bars, DG alloy nerfs, Custom Grab Bar, 22x11" RAZOR 6 ply's, 20" Sand Skate 2s, 18x11" Tamers, Hoosiers and A whole can of Whoopass.

http://65.121.190.196/scott/index.html

FOR SALE! g/f's pregnant...... Wifes Pissed!

No break in is required....
    2004 YFZ 450-- Couple of usefull options--
    http://www.danasoft.com/vipersig.jpg

AtvNC.com Race Team

Well actually there is a sort of break in period.

Lube the cam very well with moly oil during installation. Then when you start the bike up for the first time, you have to keep it reving at 2500 rpms? for like a minute or 2?, something like that, the directions that came with the cam should tell you. Thats the only break in you need. (Something about building pressure and making sure oil gets up there)
    440, Ross 11.5:1 piston, Web cam 479 grind, race port & polish, oversized valves, hardened rockers, CRF450 cam chain, 39mm FCR carb, lightened Flywheel, Stock clutch, WB CDI box, K&N filter , WhiteBrothers E-Series full exhaust, Sidewinder Chain, 15/36 gearing, open airbox, LSR Axcaliber +3.5 axle, Houser Racing +2 a-arms, Elka triple rate, fully adjustable front shocks, +1.25 Houser swingarm, Tag Metals X5 bars, Arens +1 steering stem, Muscle steering dampener, Stainless Steel brakelines, HeatSeeker temp. guage, Pro Design kill switch, DG Pro Series nerfs, 8 run Hauler paddles. ~~http://www.sounddomain.com/id/trick440ex~~

Yep, there should be a brief break in period. You just dont want to slap in the cam and run her WOT. Personally, I would ride it for a good 20-30 min before I really cranked her up.

Eric
    Eric

- '00 400EX
    ...with some stuff.

Cool

Thanks guy's. I orderd it this morning and will have it in this morning.
    Mods: K&N, Jets (42 pilot 172 main and needle raised), No air box lid, TC Racing GNCC Cam, JE 425 11:1 piston, Big Gun full exhaust, PRM skids, Renthal Bars, DG alloy nerfs, Custom Grab Bar, 22x11" RAZOR 6 ply's, 20" Sand Skate 2s, 18x11" Tamers, Hoosiers and A whole can of Whoopass.

http://65.121.190.196/scott/index.html

FOR SALE! g/f's pregnant...... Wifes Pissed!

After you put it in keep the engine revved for about 5-10 minutes and then run it. That's how you break in a new cam.

Most tech tips and manuals I've read concerning breaking in a new cam, suggest having a fan blow air over the engine and running the engine at a constant 2000-2500 rpms for 20 minutes.

#1 rule, don't let it idle... absolute worst thing you can do to a new camshaft..

Personally I'd put it in and run it normally (not running it real hard, and not letting it idle) for a while.

I would be hesitant to put any of the various 'break in lube' type stuff on it.. If you do make sure you change your oil + filter after about 1/2 hour of riding.

Leo
    You know the world is going crazy when France is accusing the US of arrogance, and Germany doesn't want to go to war.

Breakin required

Here is a link that might help. www.powroll.com/tech_specs_cam.htm it says "for powroll camshafts only not for stock or other aftermarket cams" so i don't know if this applys to you or not:square
    Nate, 1987 250R
    Need an '86-'87 stock swing arm. Reckless@drenthe.net

RE: Cam break in?

It dose`t matter stock or mod cam.Start up,run it at 2000 rpm min for 20 minutes,with 30w oil.Its same for car cams also.