Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Broke bolt while changing oil...Need help!

Unhappy Broke bolt while changing oil...Need help!

I was changing my oil as I always do, and went to torque the bolts on the oil filter and the right bolt broke. I was torquing it per specs (7 ft. lbs). Broke low (deep inside) too. Now what? Can I still ride it? After putting in the oil I let it run for a bit and no oil came out of the hole. It secured quite well using just the left bolt (the shorter one). Any particular type of screw extractor? I'm supposed to go on a spirited ride tommorrow, and this is a real pain. I bet there's only 1/8"-1/4" in the bottom....how do I get the remaining part of the bolt out?

Thanks, Drew.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't know if this will work, but I think I saw a Sears commercial for a tool that removes screws with stripped out heads. I would think Sears would have a tool that can go in and remove the remaining part of the bolt. Me personnaly, I would take it to an auto mechanic and see if they have a tool to get it out..... I'm sure they have something!!

I would take the time today and try to fix it. If you start riding and it leaks, what will you do then?

Good luck!

if the bolt isnt alumium u can try a magnet and twist it out it probly wont work but it is worth a shot
    z400on order ac dirt screen bumper ac pro pegs tag t2s trail tech bar clamps-soon a lsr axel

KX125 pro circuit top triple clamps w/bar mounts,Pro Circuit Platuium pipe, Pro Circuti Shorty silencer, renthal twin walls moto tasinari v force reed cage, one industries graphics, black rear # plates

I'm a mechanic, and i deal with this kind of stuff all the time. I don't know how far inside you broke it offYour best bet is to use a small drill bit (1/8") and drill down the CENTER of the bolt and drill STRAIGHT. Dont drill to deep. Then go up to a bigger drill bit that your Easy-out will slide into the hole. Tap your Easy-out in with a hammer (not to hard) and turn. Once your broken bolt is out, run a tap with the correct thread size down the hole to clean and repair any damaged threads.
    FYI: I turn wrenches for a living and I only torque critical items like head bolts, rods, etc... (I know every bolt and nut has a torgue rating). I personnally just tighten them by hand till snug, also buy some anti-seize and put on the bolt threads for easier removal for next time. 7FT LBS is to much for those cheap ***** low grade bolts.
    2001 400ex
    AC Pro peg nerf bars
    AC Bumper with mud screen
    DG A-Arm, Swingarm, Full skid plates
    Outerwears red shock covers
    Dynojet kit (currently 165mj)
    42 piolet jet
    K&N filter w/precharger
    FMF Powercore IV-2 S/A
    Ported headpipe
    No air box lid
    Custom graphics
    Custom storage compartment
    1 Crazy Cracker

"Pain last for a little while,
    Humiliation last forever!!"

Super Fly..pardon the ignorance, but what's an easy out? So it'll slide into the hole of the bold that I drilled into? And reverse direction drill it out? Thanks!

if you broke the bolt putting it in, it should come out quite easily...

before you drill, go to some local parts stores, or track down your local snap-on dealer and get a left hand twist drill bit (backwards)..

you drill with the motor in reverse, 99% of the time in situations like yours the bit will 'catch' in the bolt and spin it right out..

like superfly said, make 100% sure you are drilling straight..

if your not comfortable doing it, call around to the local machine shops, they would probably do it for cheap...

Leo
    You know the world is going crazy when France is accusing the US of arrogance, and Germany doesn't want to go to war.

EZ-OUT never works! I know about 5 people who have used that,and it never works. They read the directions and did everything right,and it didn't help,in some cases made the situation worse. If you want an EASY way to get it out,do this. If the broken peice of the bolt is not too deep into the thread hole,and you can reach it with a dremel bit,take the dremel tool and carve in a straight line across the top of the head of the stud to resemble a flat-head screw. Then take some Liquid Wrench or WD-40 and sqirt some in the hole and let it penetrate for a while. Then just screw it out! If it is in too far and you cant reach it,stick a screw driver into the hole and beat into the stud with a hammer to make the flat-head screw-like indent and unscrew it.
    1989 TRX300 4x4
    Stock

1986 Suzuki LT250R-
    DG Type II Silencer
    Wiseco Piston
    Maier Plastics
    Ceet Seat Cover
    Renthal Bars
    DG Baja Grab Bar
    *Blown Bottom End!*

Past ATV'S: TRX200SX,Warrior,Blaster,LT185,
    TRX250X W/350X MTR, Two ATC110's,ATC90,LT50,LT230S

blaster that is not a good idea,especially since the bolt is probably broken off in the aluminum.so if you start to beat on the piece left in there chances are good that you push it into the aluminum further and strip the aluminum and take any chance of getting it out.
    superfly's idea is best.and sometimes you can get lucky when you arte drilling into the bolt you can get the bit jammed into the bolt and then reverse the drill and it will walk right out on it's own.i to turn wrenches for a liing and i have come across many different situations,and each one usually takes a different method of getting it out.
    ON todays menu....SMOKED RAPTOR

MY TRICK TECATE 4 PICS
    e-mail bandbracing@sbcglobal.net

I WANT TO GIVE A SPECIAL THANKS TO ALL MY SPONSORS:
    COREY @ Sprock RacingThe tecate hook up!!
    PAUL @ MAX POWER CYLINDERSplating and big bore kits.
    BRAD @ FINISH FIRST POWDER COATING
    SCOTT @ FREEPORT/HONDA/KAWASAKI
    JIM @engine and crank rebuilds
    BRAD @ very trick a-rms and atv parts
    THANKS GUYS FOR MAKING THIS YEARS RACE SEASON POSSIBLE.

From what he has said, he needs to take it to some place and have it fixed. He does not have the tools and the cost of the tools is about what it would cost to have the bolt removed correctly. And if he got the tools could he use them and not mess it up more?

Leo is right, a left handed drill bit will be your best bet at getting it out. For a temporary fix you can use a short bolt, say 1/2" long and one size larger. Use a tap to cut the larger threads. That will hold the cap on tight till you can get the broken piece out.
    Jeff Stoess
    Team GATEWAY KORHS
    Kawasaki KX450F

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast