Thread: removing chain link

removing chain link

i was just wondering what would be the easiest way to remove a link in the chain? it probably isn't difficult but i figured i didn't want to mess up the new chain i got.
    2005 450r

*sold* 2001 400ex

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right."

"A leader will take you where you want to go. A great leader will not necessarily take you where you want to go but where you ought to be."

"If you want to do something, you will find a way; if you don't, you'll find and excuse!"

"Its not aptitude but attitude that determines your altitude."

If you dont have a chain breaker you got to just take a grinder and grind the 2 little pins off on one side of the chain link. Then take a small punch and pound out the little pins and it will snap apart. A die grinder or something small would be ideal, but I did my last chain with a full sized disc grinder and just aimed it real good with the edge...
    -Paul

**Full TC 426cc national kit (rebuilt, back in business)**

-13:1 JE piston, national port+polish, lightened flywheel, port matched carb boot, TC 924 MX cam, TC hi rev CDI, oversize head stud kit, CRF cam chain, Carrillo HD rod, Sparks X-6 exhaust, FST auxillary oil cooler, PEP shocks, Laeger's +3 A-arms, JB Racing +1.25 swingarm, LSR axle, RPM tapered carrier, blue Maier plastic, Quadtech hood, Nacs graphics, seat cover, case saver, bar clamps etc, Renthal CR-Hi bend bars, Arens stem, Pro Design Pro Flow kit w/K&N, Outerwears airbox, snorkel hole + filter covers, RAD locknut, PEP E-Z pull clutch lever, Steel Braided brake lines, Razr MX tires, Douglas rims, Pro Armor nerfs, AC bumper, Rath seat latch, Motion Pro cables, WB e-brake block off, DID X-ring chain, Sidewinder sprockets, probably some more Im forgetting...

R.I.P Kelly Chang

you have to grind or cut the chain to take links off?? i don't know if it matters, but it is a DID X-Ring.
    2005 450r

*sold* 2001 400ex

"A leader will take you where you want to go. A great leader will not necessarily take you where you want to go but where you ought to be."

"If you want to do something, you will find a way; if you don't, you'll find and excuse!"

Yup, thats the kind of chain I have too Cal... If you have a chainbreaker then youre golden, but if not, then yeah, you gotta grind it. ITs a one way process, once its shortened its shortened... You gotta grind the face of one of the links like I said until the ends of the little poins are flush and then put it in a vise and pound those little pins out with a punch to "break" the chain... Then you just use your masterlink to connect the ends and youre sweet...
    -Paul

**Full TC 426cc national kit (rebuilt, back in business)**

-13:1 JE piston, national port+polish, lightened flywheel, port matched carb boot, TC 924 MX cam, TC hi rev CDI, oversize head stud kit, CRF cam chain, Carrillo HD rod, Sparks X-6 exhaust, FST auxillary oil cooler, PEP shocks, Laeger's +3 A-arms, JB Racing +1.25 swingarm, LSR axle, RPM tapered carrier, blue Maier plastic, Quadtech hood, Nacs graphics, seat cover, case saver, bar clamps etc, Renthal CR-Hi bend bars, Arens stem, Pro Design Pro Flow kit w/K&N, Outerwears airbox, snorkel hole + filter covers, RAD locknut, PEP E-Z pull clutch lever, Steel Braided brake lines, Razr MX tires, Douglas rims, Pro Armor nerfs, AC bumper, Rath seat latch, Motion Pro cables, WB e-brake block off, DID X-ring chain, Sidewinder sprockets, probably some more Im forgetting...

R.I.P Kelly Chang

I think he pretty much covered it. I've even used bench grinders... I think if you look through some places they have chain breakers for like 15 bucks. But if not use a grinder or even if you don't have a grinder use a file, you will just be there a while... (hey that rhymed)
    aim - rockymiavia724
    email - pfuchs@adelphia.net

!!!!!!!!!FOR SALE!!!!!!!!!!!
    2001 300ex bored .020 over
    11:1 comp piston etc.
    New tie rods, tie rod ends
    New clutch (less than 3hrs on it)
    FMF Exhaust, douglas .190s
    DG Alloy Nerfs
    Moose Fat bars, Klaws, LSR doublewide carrier
    $2200 OBO pm for details.
    !!!!!!!!!FOR SALE!!!!!!!!!!
    Located in western PA

Most sports like baseball, basketball,etc they all use one ball
    There is only one thing that requiers 2 - Racing.

thanks guys. i don't even know how many chain links i need for my +1.25" swingarm. i guess i will just play with it.
    2005 450r

*sold* 2001 400ex