Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: do the r's of old hold their own today?

do the r's of old hold their own today?

im thinkin of gettin an r to go along with my 300 so i can have a race bike and a trail bike but i was wonderin if the r's hold their own against the new bikes (450's) but i would probally be racing in the 2 stroke class am i correct? i was just wondering i ride with a warrior, force,pred,kfx and i was just wonderin how it will stack up.
    Adam # 318...SOCCS

05 450r...Factory 4 System with powerbomb, TwinAir, Maxxis, Renthal, Updog Industries Graphics, Pro Armor,DG, Powermadd, Pro Design, Modquad PB blockoff, and Modquad throttle cover.

Yes U will easily keep up, U can get an r much much much faster than a 450 iwhtout even spending nearly as much as the yfz would cost.

I agree...the only reason the pros are using 4 strokes is because that's where the factory money is. Even if you are not a sponsored rider, you will never get sponsored by a factory if you don't ride a quad they currently produce. I think a stock yfz 450 is faster and more powerful than a stock 250r. However a 250r can easily be built to have as much or more power than a built YFZ - and for less cash. I own both machines and can tell you from experience: I would rather own a $7000 (built) 250r than a $7000 (stock) YFZ any day!!
    Kyle

addicted you are from st. clairesville my aunt and little cousin live there. i heard it was killer riding. thanks for the replies.
    Adam # 318...SOCCS

05 450r...Factory 4 System with powerbomb, TwinAir, Maxxis, Renthal, Updog Industries Graphics, Pro Armor,DG, Powermadd, Pro Design, Modquad PB blockoff, and Modquad throttle cover.

EAST TN NEAR WINROCK,BITTERCREEK, AND GOBIE

will old R's run with new bikes?

A decent 250R with a fatty and a bigger carb will more than keep up with any bike currently produced!The handly is the standard from which all atv"s are measured from and they are simple to maintain if you have old school mechanical enginuity! The 250R is far from being out dated it just that other person said, It all politics to out 2strokes and get factory backing ($$$)into the atv market which good for the most part.

Maybe stock, But you would need a good 310 or 330 to keep up with a piped YFZ. I have had both and those YFZs are dang fast with a good slip on pipe.
    2006 LTR450 Almost stock and love it.

Right seven! And a used YFZ with a pipe can be had for what, maybe $5500? And for the same money you can buy a nice 250R with aftermarket chassis, aftermarket shocks, and a 310 or 330 race motor.
    Kyle

I agree that for the money you can have a great 250R for what you can get a stock YFZ. But, The thingthat I ran into with my 250R is you start to notice every bolt and every piece on the R is starting to show its age. And at some point they will quit making factory parts for them. At some point ,and its happening now, They keep losing there value adn it may be a great quad but its only worth 3000$ and you have 6000-7000 into it. I sold mine when the market started to drop off for them. You used to not be able to touch one for under 4000 in decent shape. Now you see them going for 2000-3000.
    2006 LTR450 Almost stock and love it.

im a big fan of the 250r and i love two strokes. i hate to see them fade away.

250r vs. 450r

My buddie bought a new 450r a month or so ago and swore up and down that he would smoke my R. So I raced him down the road, we were about even through the powerband and I was a touch faster on top end. Of course I had 18 inch mx tires on, and my top end was worn out. I rode his 450r and really wasnt that impressed with it. I guess Im just a 2 stroke guy though.
    1986 honda trx250r - silver fulbores, gueseted frame pced black stardust, duncan pc2000 265pv cylinder, esr trx5 chrome pipe and silencer, renthal fatbars, ac front bumper, ac skid plate, Razr mx tires, leager +2 a-arms, 38mm mukini carb, elka long travels with ressi's, stock rear shock rebuilt by pep, lsr adjustible +4 axle, barnet clutch, ac propegs, stearing stabilizer, and more. Still have almost all stock parts. for sale or part out
    2006 ltr450 pro armor nerfs, tether kill, cherrie bomb and yoshimira slip on.
    2003 Polaris Verticle Escape, many extras, Sled for sale for the right price.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast