Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: should i take off my air box lid

Hybrid View

should i take off my air box lid

i have a 03 kfx400 and i was wondering if i should take of the air box lid or not?
    450R
    kenda fronts
    mxr rears
    ac nerfs

You've got a Yoshi pipe, right? have you rejetted the carb yet?
    #72 KCCR

depending on what type of terrain you ride in, you dont want alot of dirt or water in your airbox, i would recommend the k+n powerlid or the outerwears lid. the outerwears lid is a airbox lid with an outerwear as the lid. the k/n looks just about the same but with their filter material as there lid. both would reduce dirt and water while giving u the benefit of way more air flow

i have a yoshimura slip on and i havent re jeted it yet, i called yoshimura and they said i shouldnt have to re jet it
    450R
    kenda fronts
    mxr rears
    ac nerfs

Originally posted by yoshimurakfx400
    i have a yoshimura slip on and i havent re jeted it yet, i called yoshimura and they said i shouldnt have to re jet it
    that doesn't sound right
    #72 KCCR

I agree with spincr4hire, if you don't need to rejet it then you're probably not gaining much power. Usually a good pipe will give you more flow which leans out your motor, which requires richer jetting.

As far as the airbox lid, I strongly recommend it. If you're doing water crossings you'll want to have the lid handy or find a way to avoid them. I made my own outerwears lid and it works slick as heck. Its slightly water resistant and keeps big mud and dirt out nicely. Removing AND REJETTING gave me tons of power down low. However, if you don't jet you'll find that the thing barely runs above 1/4 throttle. I had to rejet immediately or it wouldn't run worth beans.
    "He who dies with the most toys, wins"

im goint to check my plug tomorow and see if it is the rite color if its not the rite color ill get back with u guys
    450R
    kenda fronts
    mxr rears
    ac nerfs

After checking your plug, make sure to check your jetting against other people with the same setup. I can't imagine a company not telling you to rejet with an aftermarket pipe.
    "He who dies with the most toys, wins"

take it off and rejet
    -Paul

**Full TC 426cc national kit (rebuilt, back in business)**

-13:1 JE piston, national port+polish, lightened flywheel, port matched carb boot, TC 924 MX cam, TC hi rev CDI, oversize head stud kit, CRF cam chain, Carrillo HD rod, Sparks X-6 exhaust, FST auxillary oil cooler, PEP shocks, Laeger's +3 A-arms, JB Racing +1.25 swingarm, LSR axle, RPM tapered carrier, blue Maier plastic, Quadtech hood, Nacs graphics, seat cover, case saver, bar clamps etc, Renthal CR-Hi bend bars, Arens stem, Pro Design Pro Flow kit w/K&N, Outerwears airbox, snorkel hole + filter covers, RAD locknut, PEP E-Z pull clutch lever, Steel Braided brake lines, Razr MX tires, Douglas rims, Pro Armor nerfs, AC bumper, Rath seat latch, Motion Pro cables, WB e-brake block off, DID X-ring chain, Sidewinder sprockets, probably some more Im forgetting...

R.I.P Kelly Chang

Pull the lid and rejet, I have the yosh too and it makes a HUGE difference
    Redline
    03 Z400
    www.michigandirtslingers.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast