Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: how much oil does a 400ex need

It takes a preety long time for an engine to seize with no oil. It won't seize in in 10 seconds. It's fine to start it for 10 seconds...

it takes 1.8 quarts...also make sure you drain the oil from both places(bottom of oil tank and under the shifter)
    Cameron #10

04 450r-LSR DC-4 LT A-Arms, LSR Stem w/clamp, LSR outlaw rear end, LSR axle, PEP ZPS ARC Big can shocks F/R, PEP steering dampener, PEP chain roller,AC nerfs, bumper, and grab bar, HMF pipe, douglas beadlocks w/MXR4's, Hipers w/razors....ect ect.

Thanks to my '05 sponsors:
    SOUTH TEXAS MOTORSPORTS
    X-IT cycles
    Herrmann racing
    AC racing
    Elka Suspension

Originally posted by motoman00440es
    it takes 1.8 quarts...also make sure you drain the oil from both places(bottom of oil tank and under the shifter)
    and on top of that make sure to change your oil filter. I change that every time, and drail the oil cooler and the bolt next to the filter and put 2 quarts in and mine doesn't over flow anymore. It used to when I was getting close to the end of the 2nd quart, but it doesn't anymore....Also, after a few ride there is barley any oil on the dip stick, its not burning THAT much, maybe just a little, and there arn't any leaks. What could be my problem?
    Nick Reid

Special Thanks Goes To C&D Racing!

Originally posted by hondarider2006
    and on top of that make sure to change your oil filter. I change that every time, and drail the oil cooler and the bolt next to the filter and put 2 quarts in and mine doesn't over flow anymore. It used to when I was getting close to the end of the 2nd quart, but it doesn't anymore....Also, after a few ride there is barley any oil on the dip stick, its not burning THAT much, maybe just a little, and there arn't any leaks. What could be my problem?
    when u check it make sure u let it idle few a minute without touching the throttle before checking,
    2007 yfz450
    2011 rancher fpm

With a filter change the capacity of the 400EX motor is 1.95 quarts.
    ^^from our very own exriders tech articles - DIY oil change^^

most people put 2 quarts in anyway, so it should not overflow.
    Craig
    NKY

2002 400EX - Yellow

Pro Armor Nerf Bars, FMF Powerbomb header, FMF PowerCore 4 silencer, Kenda Klaw XCF 22x7-10, Kenda Knarly 20x11-9, ITP T9 Baja's x4, UNI air filter, 150 main, 42 pilot, Magnum A Arms +2, DuraBlue Eliminator 2+2, Black Shockwears, Pro Design kill switch, WB parking brake block off, aluminum air scoops, aluminum warning label inserts, DG Alloy front bumper, Moose full chassis skid plate, FLY Racing handlebars, extra set of ITP .190 wheels w/ 20x12-9 Blackwaters

2004 Honda Foreman ES - Warn 54" plow setup, Cabela's rack bag

2001 Honda TRX 90 - stock

Team Holeshot Motor Sports
    Wilder, Ky

Originally posted by 2001400ex
    It takes a preety long time for an engine to seize with no oil. It won't seize in in 10 seconds. It's fine to start it for 10 seconds...
    Ya it wont seize but it will scrape everything up in there
    08 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab
    05 Black CBR600RR w/ a yosh
    03 Yellow 400ex w/ a pipe and shiat
    98 Green TRX300 stock
    Originally posted by scramblerracer
    Sorry-I get all of my info about canadians from south park.

Originally posted by TGW_400ex
    no
    2007 yfz450
    2011 rancher fpm

Originally posted by TGW_400ex
    deff no, u realize that when running, atleast 1/2 of all the oil is in the tank so if u are running with 1 quart it will overheat because there isnt as much oil to divert the heat. but u will get enough lubrication for a few seconds of running.

You do relize if u do turn over the engine with the killswitch on all of the gears still turn meaning they would scrape up as you would say.

and for third. after draining all the oil and after you have the 2 quarts it will still take a few seconds for the oil to make it up to the rockers.

hondarider2006,
    fill up on oil before you go to sleep. in the morninh check it it its lower you have a prob. i ran mine too low on oil. and my dad yelled at me to fill it up so i did.. the next day.. he went and checked it and it was empty and of course i was in trouble. from were i ran it low on oil piece of the piston had melted vonto my cylinder sleeve and dried. so when the piston came down it would be cocked sideways.. letting all the oil through. so if thats whats happening i say tear her down and check out your piston and sleeve. my 2cents
    Candy Blue/Silver Vein/Yellow 2002 416EX - Elka Triple Rate Comp. Adj. Piggybacks w/ White Bros. Shockcovers, Houser +2 A-Arms, Lonestar +4 Axle, ITP T9 Baja Race Wheels w/ Razr MX's, OMF Scoops, White Bros. R-4 Slip-On, AC Mudscreen, Pingry Oil Tank, TAG X-5 Bars, Hotcam Stage 2, K&N Air Filter, Wiseco 416 Kit, QuadTech Naca Duct Hood, Streamlin SS Lines, White Bros. Block-Off, AC Pro-Pegs, Pro-Design Kill Switch, Motion Pro Clutch Cable, Tusk Brakes, AC Chassis Skid..

read the manual they dont give it to you just to look at there is a reason for it

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast