Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how much oil does a 400ex need

how much oil does a 400ex need

ok some idiot told me it takes 2 quarts but it started to over flow when i was almost done with the 2nd quart next time i would like to know what it realy takes

i put two quarts in my 400 and i never have to worry about overflow. drain the oil pan then drain the bolt on the bottom of the bike. then put one quart in start the bike for two minutes then put the second quart in and you should have no problems.
    2005 Yamaha YZF 450

2.1 quarts most.

EDIT: 1000th post, jeez

Marysville, OH Northern Cambria, PA (hometown)
    if i changed filter and oil i put in 1 qt then turn the key on and the engine switch off and hit the starter for about a second to pump some of the oil from the tank to the motor... then i add another qt so in the end i have 2qt...

if i don't hit the starter for a second it'll overflow the tank... but when i start it to check oil its dead center in the middle where it should be...
    2009 Cbr600RR Phoenix

WE ARE PENN STATE!!!!!!

Re: how much oil does a 400ex need

Originally posted by sam the brave
    ok some idiot told me it takes 2 quarts but it started to over flow when i was almost done with the 2nd quart next time i would like to know what it realy takes
    dude you probably did drain its from both places
    08 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab
    05 Black CBR600RR w/ a yosh
    03 Yellow 400ex w/ a pipe and shiat
    98 Green TRX300 stock
    Originally posted by scramblerracer
    Sorry-I get all of my info about canadians from south park.

Start the quad after 1 quart so it gets sucked down into the engine, shut it off and put the other 1 quart in.

Marysville, OH Northern Cambria, PA (hometown)
    Originally posted by 2001400ex
    Start the quad after 1 quart so it gets sucked down into the engine, shut it off and put the other 1 quart in.

DO NOT START IT!!!!!!! just leave the handy bar switch off and hit the starter for a second... it'll still pump the oil down...
    2009 Cbr600RR Phoenix

WE ARE PENN STATE!!!!!!

Originally posted by Tommy 17
    DO NOT START IT!!!!!!! just leave the handy bar switch off and hit the starter for a second... it'll still pump the oil down...
    its fine if u start it for a sec, there is still plenty of oil on all of the moving parts and its not gonna overheat in a few seconds.

Yeah, I'm not talking about leaving it on for hours...it's not going to seize if it's on for literally ten seconds max. I suppose you can do it either way.

actually, im willing to bet that if you drained all the oil out from the engine, it would idle for a few good minutes before it started seizing
    2007 yfz450
    2011 rancher fpm

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast