Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White smoke

White smoke

I have white smoke that comes out of my exhaust every since about the second time I changed my oil. It only does it when the bike is cold also. Once it is warmed up and running for a few minutes it doesn't do it. Also it only does it when I give it a little gas when it is warming up. Can anybody help with what might be going on. It is on a 400ex with a dyno jet kit with a 155 Main, Yoshi slip on, K&N Air filter and the choke removed and the headpipes gound out.

That sounds pretty much like what mine does. I don't know why though. It would be nice to know.
    2001 400EX (yellow)
    -FMF PowerCore IV/2 SA
    -DG Alloy Series nerfs
    -DG Alloy Series bumper
    -Renthal Bars (atv race bend)
    -White Bros parking brake blockoff
    -CR perch and lever
    -Scott Grips
    -K&N & Uni filters
    -ProDesign Kill Switch
    -Razr rears on Douglas .190s

*****EXriders Hatfield McCoy ride*****
    Part I (complete)
    Part II (complete)
    Part III June 25, 26, 27, 2003

mine started blowing smoke like that went i neeeded a rebuild for my lakota
    Sorry dude

mine does to,but olny when its cold, everyone says my rings might be on the way of being fried
    99 chevy ZR-2
    01 426EX
    02 CR 250
    03 CBR600RR
    03 MXZX factory mod 800

"If winning is not everything then how come we keep score?"
    N.R.R.
    ~No Shirts, No Pads, Just Balls~

What is the proper compression for a stock 400EX motor.
    2001 416EX with Sparks X-6, FCR 39mm, ELKA Triple rates with cans, Burgard +3+1 A-Arms, Elka Linkage with Custom Axis Rear shock, Denton Steering Stabilizer, WISECO 87mm 11:1 with Hotcams Stage II, FDO Heavy Duty Head Studs, WB Rev Box, K&N Air Filter, Cascade Parking Brake Blockoff, AC racing Pro Peg nerfs, Renthal Sprockets, Renthal bars, DG bumper, DG Swing arm Skid, RPM 2+2 axle, speed locknut, Magura Jack Hydraulic Clutch

1988 TRX350R ported by NRPD, ESR TRX5, PWK 38mm A/S, Gibson Long Travel A-Arms, Elka Quad Rate longtravels, Laeger Swinger, ESR reed block

2007 CBR1000RR, Akrapovic Full Race, Comp Werks FE, DynoJet PCIII, ShoGun Sliders

My 400 did that too about 2 months after I got it one year ago. About a month ago I bored it. The rings and the cylinder wall looked perfect, but the vavle seals were hardened. I replaced them with Viton seals and the smoke disappeared. I would recommend replacing the seals first because more than likely your rings are fine. The Vitons also fit alot tighter on the valve stem. Just a thought!

That is kewl cause I am gettin the 416 kit done prob in May and will have Marcum put the Viton seals in.
    2001 416EX with Sparks X-6, FCR 39mm, ELKA Triple rates with cans, Burgard +3+1 A-Arms, Elka Linkage with Custom Axis Rear shock, Denton Steering Stabilizer, WISECO 87mm 11:1 with Hotcams Stage II, FDO Heavy Duty Head Studs, WB Rev Box, K&N Air Filter, Cascade Parking Brake Blockoff, AC racing Pro Peg nerfs, Renthal Sprockets, Renthal bars, DG bumper, DG Swing arm Skid, RPM 2+2 axle, speed locknut, Magura Jack Hydraulic Clutch

1988 TRX350R ported by NRPD, ESR TRX5, PWK 38mm A/S, Gibson Long Travel A-Arms, Elka Quad Rate longtravels, Laeger Swinger, ESR reed block

2007 CBR1000RR, Akrapovic Full Race, Comp Werks FE, DynoJet PCIII, ShoGun Sliders

You guys aren't talking about the moisture from the exhaust when the air outside is cold are you? THAT white cloud when you first start it up is condensation. Other than that, you shouldn't be able to make a 400 blow white smoke even if you wanted too. White is typically water, blue is oil, black is fuel.
    Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue.

The United States of America. We build better bombs. (Free delivery available upon request)

That is what I thought at first but the smoke doesn't disapate like the water vapor would. But that is what it kind of acts like.
    And I have heard that is what makes the 400 so hard to start in the cold is the condesation in the engine. I am not sure though. The bike runs strong as ever so I am not worried.

its the valve seals. i geruntee it. once it warms up the seals expand and it dissapears. replace the valve seal and your good to go.
    1987 250X

[color=light blue]
    FST 288 kit 11:1 piston
    Maier race plastic all the way around w/ add on's (white)
    Procircuit T-4 W/ WB Header
    Custom H.I.D. lights in the frame
    K&N filter
    Durablue Eliminator +4 axle
    EXR Reverse Modification
    No Decompressor
    Lemans Pro-Series Tether Kill Switch
    ported carb w/ choke removed
    Custom aluminum air scoops For Sale!!
    DG Brake Rotors on Front and Back
    14 Tooth Front Sprocket
    Chrome DG bumper