Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: making your own a arms?

i was wondering, can i use d.o.m. istead of chromoly?

boogiechile, today i took my a arms off my banshee. i measured the bars or whatever you wanna call em that some out and conect to make the A thing. i measure them both. the front one came out to like 11 1/2, and the back came out to be 12 1/2. for instance, if i were to make the back one 1 inch longer, so that they would need to go father up to connect, would this make it like +1 forward? hope this makes sence, it was kinda hard to explain. thnaks

boggiechile its ok u probable would make alot of money though working on quads..
    08 ltr450 le cherry bomb, uni,Full Duncan exhaust,pro tapper,rock nerfs,motorsport bumper

01 440ex Girlfriends bike , +2+1 a-arms, uni filter, chm slip on,white bros header ac bumper, 440 kit 12:1, hd head studs, nerfs,rad lock nut,westcost carrier,450r carb,stage 2 hot cam, eca break block off, 450r swing arm,450r rear brake set up,tcs revalved rear shock

?

Originally posted by LilDacktyle
    boogiechile, today i took my a arms off my banshee. i measured the bars or whatever you wanna call em that some out and conect to make the A thing. i measure them both. the front one came out to like 11 1/2, and the back came out to be 12 1/2. for instance, if i were to make the back one 1 inch longer, so that they would need to go father up to connect, would this make it like +1 forward? hope this makes sence, it was kinda hard to explain. thnaks
    It would move the joint forward but not 1 inch. One inch on the back arm at the angle it is at would move the joint far less than I inch forward. To make a arms you need to make a jig. The jig is set with the joints +1 forward or whatever you want and whatever width you want. the jig also must set the critical angle of the joint to acheive extra droop and not really any extra jounce without binding. The shock mount location determines the travel and motion ratio and has to be done right. Caster and camber have to be considered when the jig is made. Once the jig is set up you simply build the arms to the jig pattern. The jig holds everything in place while it is put together and welded. Again I will say that I think you are in over your head ttrying to make your own arms. There is much to be delt with that you seem to lack knowledge about. Heck, about half the name brand aftermarket a arms are not built right. I suggest getting a couple good suspension books and reading up before you attempt anything.

boogie - I would like to learn more about this - can you recommend some books that you have found helpful.

thanks
    Carson

Originally posted by LilDacktyle
    i was wondering, can i use d.o.m. istead of chromoly?
    You could use it, but the main advantage to run chromoly is that you can use thinner material and still be strong.
    Hey Boogie, do you use a tig or mig to weld them up? And if you use a mig, do you preheat / postheat? It looks like you do great work........keep it up.
    03 400EX

Originally posted by cinigen9
    boogie - I would like to learn more about this - can you recommend some books that you have found helpful.

thanks
    Carson
    I really do not know of any particular books because i really have not read many but they are out there. You can do a search and find tons of them. "Race Car Dynamics" is a great book but it is kinda on the expensive side. My knowledge of the subject was just obtained over the years and geometry is my favorite field.

Originally posted by EXJUMPER
    Hey Boogie, do you use a tig or mig to weld them up? And if you use a mig, do you preheat / postheat? It looks like you do great work........keep it up.
    Both. The components like arms and stuff are tig but some of the work on the frame is mig. I'm starting to like mig on the chromoly better than tig. we have stopped preheating and never postheated. we just let it cool slowly. I do not do the welding, I design and fab all the parts and tack them together with the mig. I have the welding instructor at the college I work at run the beads after I have it tacked together.

boogiechile
    i was looking at the ball joints or whatever you call them, and you said you use the JM series. i was thinking about it and dont you need the male end not the female end? cause you need something that goes through the hole on the spindle and holds the arm on. or do you just use a bolt or something?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast