Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clutch slipping?

Clutch slipping?

I hear the 400ex clutch isnt the greatest. How do you know if your clutch is slipping? Does its slip under hard acceleration? or what?

And also what do I need to change, just springs? or clutch plate and spring? new basket? thanks
    440, Ross 11.5:1 piston, Web cam 479 grind, race port & polish, oversized valves, hardened rockers, CRF450 cam chain, 39mm FCR carb, lightened Flywheel, Stock clutch, WB CDI box, K&N filter , WhiteBrothers E-Series full exhaust, Sidewinder Chain, 15/36 gearing, open airbox, LSR Axcaliber +3.5 axle, Houser Racing +2 a-arms, Elka triple rate, fully adjustable front shocks, +1.25 Houser swingarm, Tag Metals X5 bars, Arens +1 steering stem, Muscle steering dampener, Stainless Steel brakelines, HeatSeeker temp. guage, Pro Design kill switch, DG Pro Series nerfs, 8 run Hauler paddles. ~~http://www.sounddomain.com/id/trick440ex~~

The clutch will make a grinding, friction type of noise if it slips. This will happen under hard acceleration or when you let the clutch out and rev it up. This sometimes happens when you try to accelerate hard when letting out the clutch in too high of a gear. Say you are stopped or close to it and you try to take off in third while revving and letting the clutch out, it might slip.

This will wear the clutch plates, and you should really try not to do it. If you replace anything, I would guess it would be the clutch springs or the plates. The springs can weaken and allow the clutch to slip or the plates can be worn. You could measure the thickness of the plates with a caliper. The spec. is 2.69mm or 0.106in. depending on the caliper you use. You should also look for scratches in the plates, warping, or discoloration like it has been burned.
    2001 416EX
    Yeah, it's tuned.

if you can hold down your rear brake and your motor still revs it's new clutch time

if you take it apart replace the springs and plates....buy a kit (barnett is a good choice) dont do one or the other...be sure to get a new gasket..you will feell it slip and alot of times in will squell. you wont need a new basket...the only thing that might be wroing on the basket in burnt oil sticking on the outside making it look wornout ..which is caused by leting the clutch slip too long...just by a barnett clutch kit... no basket

Originally posted by McgrathSucks
    if you can hold down your rear brake and your motor still revs it's new clutch time

okay?????????????????

that made no sense what-so-ever magrathsucks, i can hold my rear brake in an rev my motor, dont need a new clutch niether, maybe ill try my front break?
    2000 Roll/Laeger's/Houser/Axis 416ex

2001 Arens/Laeger's/PEP 250r

Thanks to my sponsors for 2003 : 00-Buck ATV Racing, Team Pompton, Nebulae Race Team, Milton Inn Packaged Goods, Napa Auto Parts of Oak Ridge, Sick Style Racing, WD-40, Hinson Racing, IMS, Sport Center Racing, and Nac's racing

I'd also like to give a special thanks to Baldwin Motorsports for all there help and support they gave me.

We are now accepting resumes, this is a New Jersey based team. westsyder50@hotmail.com
    http://www.geocities.com/sickstyleatv/index.html

Team Rcokford Fosgate 401+ northeast champ 147.7db

Ok that helps guys, I was kinda asking because I knew I could use some clutch work, and I noticed a slight 1/2 second power drop (clutch slippage?) after I power shifted into third gear during a race. I'm somewhat paronoid when my bike does weird stuff, i figured that could have been clutch slipage, either way I think its a good idea to get a clutch plate and springs.
    440, Ross 11.5:1 piston, Web cam 479 grind, race port & polish, oversized valves, hardened rockers, CRF450 cam chain, 39mm FCR carb, lightened Flywheel, Stock clutch, WB CDI box, K&N filter , WhiteBrothers E-Series full exhaust, Sidewinder Chain, 15/36 gearing, open airbox, LSR Axcaliber +3.5 axle, Houser Racing +2 a-arms, Elka triple rate, fully adjustable front shocks, +1.25 Houser swingarm, Tag Metals X5 bars, Arens +1 steering stem, Muscle steering dampener, Stainless Steel brakelines, HeatSeeker temp. guage, Pro Design kill switch, DG Pro Series nerfs, 8 run Hauler paddles. ~~http://www.sounddomain.com/id/trick440ex~~

ok..if your sitting still..put it in gear and hold on the rear brake hard and the motor revs the clutch is completly fried....i could do it in my truck when the clutch was gone

iz it steeeeel brokin
    Tecotty
    honda450r
    holershot tirz
    spanks mufflr

Originally posted by trx400ex
    okay?????????????????

lol I was thinking the same thing.
    Jerry

Quadless again!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast