Thread: Engine mods?

Engine mods?

Well i've been sayin this for awhile now but I almost have enough money. I will be modding the suspension and evrything first but my question is, do i even need engine mods?

I will get sparks exhaust, K&N filter, cam mod, and thats all unless I need something else?

What do you guys have? (I will be racing A or B class MX localy and prolly some B class at nationals..)

Exhaust, cam mod, filter, and possibly gearning are as much as most people will ever need on this bike as far as power goes. Spend you money on suspension, stickers, and hot chicks.

my bike is all stock down to the filter, cam mod, and gutted pipe. It has the power in stock form, you just need to know how to use it. I have pulled tons or bikes oit of the corners with it stock, although a pipe is on the way.
    2004 yfz450

Winter rebuild stage, becoming a full mx racer

Formely Krazykid300ex

I would suggest getting a port and polish to help with the sudden hit of the powerband.

other than polishing the head, i would leave the motor stock, its been proven that the stock pistons hold up way better than aftermarket and the stock motor is very reliable and runs great..barley any race teams do too much motor work ot them, except JRD that i know of, and there motors never last, as far as i have seen IMO
    Leric Lemons

2005 Honda 450R's
    - tastily modified out hah!

Thanks to my
    2007 Sponsors:
    Rage ATV
    Walsh Racecraft
    Team-RPM

im thinking now maybe a port and polish, cams, and high compression piston maybe for motor work and thats all.

Nicest motor i've seen as far as power, Mike Walsh's. everything done and it flies.
    2004 yfz450

Winter rebuild stage, becoming a full mx racer

Formely Krazykid300ex

Who have you guys used to polish your head and how much of a difference does it make?

the yfz i race sometimes is a TC motored quad. TC exhaust, tc cams, and port/polish. stock piston, and everything else, it flat out hauls and pulls by everything else out there, its right along side of my 450 dale with 14:1 compression and many other mods with TC exhaust and all..
    Leric Lemons

2005 Honda 450R's
    - tastily modified out hah!

Thanks to my
    2007 Sponsors:
    Rage ATV
    Walsh Racecraft
    Team-RPM

Originally posted by dhines
    Who have you guys used to polish your head and how much of a difference does it make?
    I let Little d polish my"head"he makes all the difference
    Big B

turtle racin engines built mine, it runs great 13 1/2 to1 piston ported and polished head,three angle valve job,and changed air box hook up and filter. installed needle from dirt bike and sparks pipe. bike runs great keeps up with everything out there.but you dont have to do all that,needle,pipe,retard ex. cam 1 degree ,take off air box lid,change main jet and hang on.......