Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cam and Piston

Hybrid View

Cam and Piston

Which cam and piston should I get on a stock bore? Which is best on the cams and where is the best place to get one? I've read the arguements about both the web cam and hot cam, what about the hrc cam? As for a piston, what is the highest compression I can get for a stock bore?
    2004 400EX Red
    DG Nerf bars
    WB E-Series Slip-on, no discs, no spark arrestor
    K&N Filter with Outerwears
    Dynojet 138 main and stock pilot jets

There are many posts about this, but here is what I say.....

Get an 11:1 wiseco and get the TC 924 MX or 926 XC cams whichever one suits you better. These are drop in cams and are better than the Hotcam and Webcam. The web requires a core charge and hardened rockers and springs and all that too. I'm not aware of any stock bore pistons higher than 11:1 but maybe Im wrong... Anyway, if you go higher than that on the EX you really should get the heavy duty head stud kit, or have your studs Heli-coiled because high-comp. EX's are known for blowing head gaskets (im speaking from experience here). Get the wiseco piston and the TC cam and also add a high rev CDI if you dont already have one, ditch the airbox lid, get a K+N and re jet and youll be on your way to alot more power.
    -Paul

**Full TC 426cc national kit (rebuilt, back in business)**

-13:1 JE piston, national port+polish, lightened flywheel, port matched carb boot, TC 924 MX cam, TC hi rev CDI, oversize head stud kit, CRF cam chain, Carrillo HD rod, Sparks X-6 exhaust, FST auxillary oil cooler, PEP shocks, Laeger's +3 A-arms, JB Racing +1.25 swingarm, LSR axle, RPM tapered carrier, blue Maier plastic, Quadtech hood, Nacs graphics, seat cover, case saver, bar clamps etc, Renthal CR-Hi bend bars, Arens stem, Pro Design Pro Flow kit w/K&N, Outerwears airbox, snorkel hole + filter covers, RAD locknut, PEP E-Z pull clutch lever, Steel Braided brake lines, Razr MX tires, Douglas rims, Pro Armor nerfs, AC bumper, Rath seat latch, Motion Pro cables, WB e-brake block off, DID X-ring chain, Sidewinder sprockets, probably some more Im forgetting...

R.I.P Kelly Chang

I was told by a machinest that an 11:1 is too big for the stock sleeve. (the sleeve is too thin in otheer words) He told me the biggest he would reccommend would be 9.5:1 which is what I have now. He said you could put an 11:1 in there but it wouldnt last very long unless you re-sleeve it which is not what you want to do from what I understand. I dont know maybe hes wrong.

Originally posted by jsquare76
    I was told by a machinest that an 11:1 is too big for the stock sleeve. (the sleeve is too thin in otheer words) He told me the biggest he would reccommend would be 9.5:1 which is what I have now. He said you could put an 11:1 in there but it wouldnt last very long unless you re-sleeve it which is not what you want to do from what I understand. I dont know maybe hes wrong.

Dude dont listen to that guy, my buddy put a std bore 10:8:1 piston in his and a webcam, i would go with a web cam because that is what sparks would recommend if you dont get his cam. it all depends, because if you want a drop in cam get the hot cam because if you are going to spend the money on a drop in tc cam, you might as well get the webcam, because they rock, never had any probs...
    yfz450 sparks exhaust, high comp piston, porting, big valves, cam mod and bored out carb and other goodies...

Originally posted by jsquare76

funny........ i bored my stock sleeve out even thinner and i'm running 11:1

OhioMafiaRiders.com

2002 KTM 520SX

2002 Silver GT450ex Back in Black and stroked by GT Thunder

wanna fight............... how bout you stick your head up my butt and fight for air

What about the HRC cam? I've seen some posts about it but really never anything major. Is it worth it? Or would one of the others be just as good?
    2004 400EX Red
    DG Nerf bars

i think every hrc owner loves it. however, it is too expensive for a lot of the people so they go cheaper and get a hotcam for 1/2 the price and you end up with similar performance.
    2005 450r

*sold* 2001 400ex

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right."

"A leader will take you where you want to go. A great leader will not necessarily take you where you want to go but where you ought to be."

"If you want to do something, you will find a way; if you don't, you'll find and excuse!"

"Its not aptitude but attitude that determines your altitude."

What are the downfalls of going with a hotcam? It doesn't require the core charge right?
    2004 400EX Red
    DG Nerf bars

Originally posted by MrTrendy1
    What are the downfalls of going with a hotcam? It doesn't require the core charge right?
    Cheaper price and product compared to the HRC cam.

No core charge with the Hotcam..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast