Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Racing Tips And Tricks

Racing Tips And Tricks

Hey everyone. I am just currious to everyones tips and tricks in here. Please post maybe you will learn somthing too!! Anything from Holeshots to 75ft doubles tips for better control, and less body fatigue. any tips would be appreciated greatly
    426ex.. sold

Training:

I try to run 5 miles everyday on either a treadmill or outside if weather premitting. Breatheing is a very important part of endurance. Running or other cardo training will prevent you from getting tired early in a race.

I use a set of hand grippers 5-10 minutes 3-4 times a day. It helps build up your forearms to prevent arm pump.

Eating right. I cut soda/pop, beer, fast food, candy, and all junk food out of my diet. These drinks and foods are not a good source of long lasting energy, and will hurt you in the long run.

Ride when you can, but not too much. There is no exercise like riding. You use and work all of the right parts of the body. Mentally it gives you confidence. But if you over-due it, you could be sore come race day.

Race Day:

Eat a healthy breakfast. Banana's, Slim Fast bars, and Pedea Lite kid's drink are my favorite. Banana's help increase blood flow throughout the body. Slim Fast bars and Pedea Lite have long lasting vitamins and minerals that will keep you going strong all day long.

Pre-Race:

Rub some Icy-Hot into your forearms to help prevent arm pump.
    Stretch out. Relax. Breathe.

At the start:

Remain calm and relaxed. Stay loose and remember to breathe. Riding stiff or not breatheing right will bring on the arm pump.
    Remember.... Racing is 5% machine, 95% rider. Don't worry about what everyone else is doing and race your race.

Racing tips:

Make sure your machine is solid and capable of finishing the race.
    To prevent your clutch from heating up, don't put your machine in gear until right before the start.
    Don't ride the same line as the guy in front of you. His mistake now becomes yours.
    Riding smooth and relaxed equals faster lap times.
    Don't forget to have fun.......!

Chris
    AMA District 23 Racer #66
    2002 Laeger's/Pro Fab/Custom AXIS 365X
    QuadSport MX, Quad 250A MX, QuadSport A XC
    See ya at the races.......

Hey Chris, thanks for the tips. I have one more question: you mentioned breating several times, what is the proper/best way to breath?
    03 Predator w/ TrailTech X-bars & clamp, WB slip-on, custom K&N intake, Edelbrock carb

06 Raptor, Houser +2 A-arms, LSR +4 axle, FMF PowerBomb Header w/ Two Bros slip on, ProDesign K&N intake kit, TrailTech X-bars, clamp & Vapor computer, PC III USB

one way to help prevent arm pump is to loosen your grip on bars when your in the air over a double or something.

When someone becomes scared/excited/nervous (like in racing), the way they breathe changes. They may breathe faster, or take shorter breathes. When doing this, less oxygen finds it's way into your blood and to your muscules. Less oxygen going to an active muscule equals fagitue and cramps.

Breatheing is very important in an endurance sport like quad racing. Controling it comes with experiance and phyical training.

As funny as it sounds. Just breathe normal.

I can relate to this. I had one race last summer that this makes sence. During practice I was nevous and all wound up, it was not comferable to race. It was a while before the first moto and I had time to eat and relax, so that moto went better. Then the main I was completely relaxed, I was passing hopped up Banshee's and R's. If it wouldn't have been a crash that had me in a pile I would of done better that 7th. I still didn't think that was bad considering there was 25 of us!
    I hope that this year is better, I have been working out and changed my diet to get into shape. I will know if it works by the end of the season.
    StarkRacing, thanks for the tip on the hand grippers. I was wondering if that would help.
    2002 KTM 400 EXC, this bike is awsome!

Quads I use to own:
    FDO 463ex, Gas Gas 300, Gas Gas 450, Rancher, Yamaha Warrior, ATC Big Red.

If you can't afford to fix it or replace it, don't ask to ride it!

These are very good so far, basicly what I have been tryin to do to prepare myself, but I know there are a lot more, like how do you work a rider that is in front of you out of the way so you can make a pass? or do you just wait and watch for him to make a mistake?
    426ex.. sold

Thumbs up

ye, that was some great advice, keep them coming, i think im going to start running alot more, we just got a treadmill, and i need to break it in i guess , oh , and i do those grip things too

Marysville, OH Northern Cambria, PA (hometown)
    hey ride red are u gonna be racing district 5 in pa this year... i will be in june or july or so...
    2009 Cbr600RR Phoenix

WE ARE PENN STATE!!!!!!

im gonna be racing in district 5

with a 1 in front of it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast