Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LT 80 Tether

LT 80 Tether

I am installing a tusk tether on my daughters 04 LT80 but im not for sure what wire to splice into. I want to keep the key ignition and the off/run switch intact. Do I splice into the orange wire from the key it is only hot if the key is on?

Remove the hood. Find the wires that come up from the motor.
    There is a white/red and a black/red wires together. You tie into the black/red wire
    2000 GNC 5N\
    2001 GNC 9N \ 40+ class
    2004 GNC 9N /
    2014 rock crusher "GO tortoise GO!"
    2016 Byrd Rooster
    Father of the "11" time National champion,and worlds fastest woman ATV racer
    A few fast LT80's
    250R~300cc's
    300ex
    350 Rancher
    Kymco Mongoose
    Survivor of the 12 Hours of ATV America 04 and 05

thanks for the info, Im on my way right now to do it!

Do they make diffrent kinds of tethers? I put the tusk tether on the LT80 and spliced into the black/red wire like LT80 told me to but it works just opposite of how it should. If the tether is installed it wont run if you take it off it runs normal!!! WTF

OK, I'll guess that you unplugged the connection,then took one of the tether wires and connected it to one end of the red/black wire. You then took the other tether wire and connected it to the other end of the red/black wire.
    What I neglected to say (and I consider this my fault) is to tie one of the tether wires to the frame to be grounded. This can be dame at the fender mounbting bolts under the hood. The other thether wire is then tied in to the red/black wire. I prefer to strip a small section of the red/black wire and wraping the tether wire then taping it.
    You will notice on the tether switch, one end shows metal and has a wire comming out of it. Ground this wire or a shock will occure when touched.
    2000 GNC 5N\
    2001 GNC 9N \ 40+ class
    2004 GNC 9N /
    2016 Byrd Rooster
    A few fast LT80's
    250R~300cc's
    300ex
    350 Rancher
    Kymco Mongoose

I did what you explained, so in the morning i will change it around and will make sure it works. We are leaving for Wynoka friday morning! Thanks again for the help it is greatly appreciated.

I redone the tether this morning and it works perfect.Im doing the first maintenence on it and I must be a f'n idiot because I see no way to adjust the chain that it needs!

yes there are diferent tethers, uhhh pro design thats the only one besides tusk, the pro design one is really nice but more expensive, i have it and i think its sweet,
    San Diego, CA
    04' Z400
    alba jet kit, alba full pipe system, outerwear, k&n, alba pro flow billet adapter, alba chassis skid, alba kory ellis blue graphix, alba nerf bars, tag x5 bars, burgard +2 arms, AC racing bumper, OMF scoops, custom grill, custom grab bar, and sand star paddles all the way around with ITP t-9/s, front holeshot 20x6x10, and 18x10.5x9 kenda klaws, custom gussets, +2 custom steering stem, hella light, alba cdi, shockwears, front works w/out rezzies

Your certainly no idiot as there is no chain adjustment.
    The simplest way to adjust the chain is to use a chain roller.
    Put the roller in the middle of the loop and pull down to adjust the chain. put the bolt thru the roller and mark where it hits the metal piece that joins the motor/rear end. Drill hole and install roller.You may need a longer bolt and some washers to put the roller out on the chain properly.
    2000 GNC 5N\
    2001 GNC 9N \ 40+ class
    2004 GNC 9N /
    2016 Byrd Rooster
    A few fast LT80's
    250R~300cc's
    300ex
    350 Rancher
    Kymco Mongoose

Thanks again LT80 you have been very helpful!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast