Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can you find out if you have jeted correctly??

How can you find out if you have jeted correctly??

I just installed a 160 main and 3rd grove with a WB pipe and K&N filter and every thing runs fine but i want to know how can you tell if its correct not that i amde a mistake nad don't notice it?????
    Thanks
    400exBro
    07 Honda
    04 Honda

Timo Nielsen: CMRC ATV Intermediate class #99

Thumbs up

Awesome freekin question. While I was searching the internet for a tachometer (which I haven't bought yet), I saw a device that you put by your exhaust exit hole. It analyzes the exhaust gases to tell you how lean or rich you are running. I hope to find out where to buy this cool tool.
    '00 Budweiser 420SS, XR cam, JE 10.8:1 416 piston, FMF 4Q with Powerbong , AC Pro Pegs, skid & bumper, UniFilter, 6 airbox vents, 42 pilot; 165 main; clip 4 down, chokeless, stock fuel screw position (= 2 1/4 turns out), hydraulic clutch

Let me know if you find out where to get this tool, plug checks are fierce
    with how deep the plug sits in the motor. Some one said that a shop would have this device to check it for you. Has anyone ever used one before, and where at?
    John

just snug the plug and check it, also you can tell by many things. like if its boggs its to rich. or if the engine is hotter then normal its lean, backfiring its lean. black smoke its rich, theres alot of things u can do
    2000 Roll/Laeger's/Houser/Axis 416ex

2001 Arens/Laeger's/PEP 250r

Thanks to my sponsors for 2003 : 00-Buck ATV Racing, Team Pompton, Nebulae Race Team, Milton Inn Packaged Goods, Napa Auto Parts of Oak Ridge, Sick Style Racing, WD-40, Hinson Racing, IMS, Sport Center Racing, and Nac's racing

I'd also like to give a special thanks to Baldwin Motorsports for all there help and support they gave me.

We are now accepting resumes, this is a New Jersey based team. westsyder50@hotmail.com
    http://www.geocities.com/sickstyleatv/index.html

Team Rcokford Fosgate 401+ northeast champ 147.7db

you can pick up a single wire O2 sensor for around ~$10..

you can read it with a volt meter..

0V = High Oxygen (lean)
    .9 - 1.0V = Low Oxygen (rich)

The tough part would be mounting it in the headpipe, as they don't work the greatest until they are up to 500 degrees or so...

Leo
    You know the world is going crazy when France is accusing the US of arrogance, and Germany doesn't want to go to war.

Ok, Leo...you just gave me an idea.

If I were to make a circuit that boosted those voltage levels so they would light up leds....(which would not be hard at all), then we could have a "real time" air/fuel gauge.....Hmmmm

Eric
    Eric

- '00 400EX
    ...with some stuff.

How can you tell if your enigne is running coller than stock????
    07 Honda
    04 Honda

Timo Nielsen: CMRC ATV Intermediate class #99

Ok, I'm not 100% sure about this but I think you can just tell by looking at your head pipe (as long as it is clean ) If it is dark blue, its running hot (lean)...if it is dark brown you are running cooler (rich). If its a nice shade of golden brown, its running good.

Anyone else here of this? A guy I ride with that used to race ALOT when he was younger said this is what alot of the racers did back in the day...(mid 80's).

The other way of finding out is to do the plug check...warm the bike up until you are off the choke circuit then pull the plug for each throttle range. If it is white or very light in color, you are lean (hot) and if its black and wet you are rich (cooler)....again, look for a nice shade of golden brown...

Eric
    Last edited by MOFO; 08-27-2001 at 03:20 PM.
    Eric

- '00 400EX
    ...with some stuff.

Yeah, checking the pipe is a great well to see how you are jetted. I did hear that gasoline additives have made plug reading less reliable.
    '00 Budweiser 420SS, XR cam, JE 10.8:1 416 piston, FMF 4Q with Powerbong , AC Pro Pegs, skid & bumper, UniFilter, 6 airbox vents, 42 pilot; 165 main; clip 4 down, chokeless, stock fuel screw position (= 2 1/4 turns out), hydraulic clutch

Correct jetting is a hard thing to master.. My bike runs great,,no backfiring, no bogging ,starts great, but my header pipe over 8 months of riding is starting to slightly turn blue,,I don't know if I should just leave well enough alone, or If I should start making changes to the jetting.. I'll probably leave it alone until I put a new cam and piston in it and then fool with it.. what would you guys do???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast