Thread: Alright boys/girls needed help on this racing tip.

Question Alright boys/girls needed help on this racing tip.

On the weekend i went to the local track to practice for the racing season coming up, and my friend was there with a stock 400 except for the fmf pc4 and k&n filter no holes in airbox and jets.
    and we decide to drag race these two guys on a stock raptor and stock 400.
    Well i pulled the leaded for the first 5-10 feet(till top of 2nd bottomm of third) and then i got smoked by the stock 400, 400 with pipe and the stock raptor.

What am i doing wrong that got me smoked by a STOCK 400.
    I am running a wb e-seris with no s/a(no last disc so it shots stright out the back) K&N filter with 4 holes in the air box 160 main and 42 pilot.
    I recently found that my throttle cable was way to lose and i adjusted that but i dončt think that would of made that big of a difference. Just like in thrid gear i lost a whole bunch of power, it might be my jetting might be too rich.
    What do you guys think and what should i do to keep me out in front. My friend doesn t even let off the throttle when he shifts and that is really hard on the clutch for palying around i dončt like to do that stuff but for the race i will probably need it.
    lata
    Bro
    07 Honda
    04 Honda

Timo Nielsen: CMRC ATV Intermediate class #99

hmm there are alot of factors, you might have been shifting to slow, did you use the clutch?? that takes alot of time in a drag annd could have costed you the race.... basically just ride flat out, but only within your abilities

i think you are too rich. take off the airbox lid, run a 165 -170 main and raise the needle one notch. your pipe needs more air to breath. you will be amaised by the power gained by removing the lid

i already got 4 holes in the box and a 160main. so maybe i go down to 155 main and try that or take the lid off and see what performances better.
    Yes i used the clutch but let go of the gas as i shifted which could of cost me some time if i don't do it right.
    In a week or two when i go back i should have her tuned in.
    lata
    Bro
    07 Honda
    04 Honda

Timo Nielsen: CMRC ATV Intermediate class #99

If u take of the lid completely it will help. The factor is probably shifting. If you beat a raptor off the line you must have good clutch skills. Try not using the clutch when u shift, it really doesnt hurt the clutch too much! My mechanic said i could even ride all the time and not use the clutch (on my 300ex, not 250r!). Landing w/ the throttle in hurts it much more than shifting without the clutch. Make sure and let off the throttle though, not for long!
    2009 CRF250R

R.I.P. Kelly "Steelrod" Chang, Todd Vescovi, Matt Barosek, & Jeremy Lusk, You'll Never be Forgotten!