Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 400 Ex Clicking Noise

Angry 400 Ex Clicking Noise

Brand New 2001 400EX (1 month old - past break in period)makes a singular clicking noise every time you rev it up after engine reaches operating temperature. Talked to several service reps at dealer, head of service, GM of store and Honda Corp - none of them have heard of this problem before. It does not make this noise all the time only when the engine is hot and you have been through all the gears. Dealer serviced 3 times already!!! Did the following work - valves have been adjusted, dealer replaced spark plug,cam & compensator, starter clutch, piston pin, 2 different gears, clutch outer casing, 3 gaskets and a bunch of bearings. Run 91 octane gas only (highest I can buy here in Colorado other than racing gas)... Almost sounds like someone is tapping the engine case with a screwdriver. Can't pinpoint exactly where its coming from but you can hear the noise over the engine.

Is the engine broken in yet? After break-in you should definitely check valve lash as they may need adjusted. If the sound is real bad it could be a rocker arm that's a little loose. I know my cousin's 400EX makes a little tapping sound when you rev it up. I may be mistaken but I think that sound is a trademark of this engine. I've heard of numerous other owners talking of it.
    2013 KTM 300XC

sounds like your valves need adjusting

have you tried changing your spark plug? Maybe the "knock" you hear is unburned fuel. If it were valve noise it would not be a singular "tap".
    In memory of Christopher (Chrissy) Riley Andrews / 1-24-02 to 1-23-06
    we love you Chrissy

Arrow Premium

Drain the gas tank and put some premium fuel in it... I bet it stops!
    80 horsepower engines on 300 pound frames... Thats like having 2000 horsepower in your family car.

STOLEN: 1995 TRX300EX *Cobra JET Exhaust *K&N Air Filter *.040 overbore with high comp piston and Porting *Works Suspension *Sunstar 14/36 Aluminum Sprockets *Web Full-Race Cam, Valves, and Springs *AC Nerf Bars *DG Baja Swingarm plate *Renthal "RM bend" Handlebars *Motion Pro Twist Throttle *Scott Comp2 Grips *Ceet gripper seat cover *Hotwire Ignition Wires *Filtered Airbox Vents *20X10X9 Titan Fast Trekker Rear tires

I have tried everthing i think? Took back to dealer after making noise (month old) they couldnt find nothing wrong .drain all gas try dif gas twice. New plugs ect ect. still makes this noise still bugs me ! :blah :grr
    01 EX with many mods

Where is is coming from?

Where exactly is it coming from? See if you can tell...

If you cant, go and get one of those mechanics stethoscopes, and start poking around with it.

If we know where its coming from, we can tell you what it is...
    80 horsepower engines on 300 pound frames... Thats like having 2000 horsepower in your family car.

STOLEN: 1995 TRX300EX *Cobra JET Exhaust *K&N Air Filter *.040 overbore with high comp piston and Porting *Works Suspension *Sunstar 14/36 Aluminum Sprockets *Web Full-Race Cam, Valves, and Springs *AC Nerf Bars *DG Baja Swingarm plate *Renthal "RM bend" Handlebars *Motion Pro Twist Throttle *Scott Comp2 Grips *Ceet gripper seat cover *Hotwire Ignition Wires *Filtered Airbox Vents *20X10X9 Titan Fast Trekker Rear tires

You don't need to go buy an automotive stethoscope, you already got one at your house. Take a broom handle and unscrew it from the sweep. Touch one end on various parts of the motor while you cup your hand around the opposite end of the broom handle and your ear. Voila, a free stethoscope! That's an old drag racer trick.
    2013 KTM 300XC

put super "93" octane gas in there, it sounds almost like its pinging to me
    2000 Roll/Laeger's/Houser/Axis 416ex

2001 Arens/Laeger's/PEP 250r

Thanks to my sponsors for 2003 : 00-Buck ATV Racing, Team Pompton, Nebulae Race Team, Milton Inn Packaged Goods, Napa Auto Parts of Oak Ridge, Sick Style Racing, WD-40, Hinson Racing, IMS, Sport Center Racing, and Nac's racing

I'd also like to give a special thanks to Baldwin Motorsports for all there help and support they gave me.

We are now accepting resumes, this is a New Jersey based team. westsyder50@hotmail.com
    http://www.geocities.com/sickstyleatv/index.html

Team Rcokford Fosgate 401+ northeast champ 147.7db

Arrow When your're done

And if you cant find the problem, you can always beat it with the stick! Thats what I do!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast