Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Was race gas to blame?

You can have fun attacking the Cdale, if it bothered me I would have already sold it. LOL

I simply say I would rather have a button than try to kick something 70 times, and people get offended, attack me and what I ride, and overall make themselves look like the people that have a problem. I sure don't, if you didn't catch that from the smilies and joking. But whatever, have your fun!

The fact is, people sure get angry when Yamaha gets something right - E-start, option to make it kicker if you want, keep them both so you have kicker as a backup. Ahh.... what a great idea. I would love to have that setup - the best of both worlds.

PS: Sounds like you couldn't tune that Cannondale to me - mine has never failed to start, even after sitting over a month at a time, in the sub-zero weather. I know you understand the EFI better than I do, but if you would let it continue to have that much trouble, something sure wasn't right. Get your D&M out. Some people have hundreds of hours on their quads and have never fouled a plug - they can and do work great when properly maintained.
    2003 Cannondale Blaze

race gas actually burns slower than regular pump gas, So with the race gas burning slower your jetting will also change, I think a size down on the main jet would of been the way to go while running the race gas.

Originally posted by thomez
    Either way, my leg wouldn't ache.
    Dumb ****!!
    04' 450r-everything,63hp>stock bore/stroke
    94' RX7 R1- built 5.3l lsx, 76mm turbo, built t56, Ronin widebody etc- project
    63' F250 4x4- 6bt I/C Cummins motor, Ford ZF5 trans, Kingpin Dana 60 front, 87' F350 frame, 6 inch lift, 37's, 63' F250 body- toy hauler

All the new generation 4 strokes kick start easy...................... when they are new. The problem (with CRFs, YZ450Fs, etc) is that as you put time on the motors they become harder and harder to start. With valve clearences flexing, rings wearing, etc the motor simply is not as good as it was when it was new. And, it shouldn't. They become more of a pain in the arse to start, especially when hot.

Even still, if you take care of your motor and keep the engine maintenance up, it will be relatively reliable.

The biggest problem I have with the kick start is this. I ride MX, and only MX. When you stall a kick start only quad in a race, you are screwed. Now, it is not the quad's fault you stalled it, but still, if you do in a MX race by the time you get the kicker out, and kick it over, you have lost positions. Even worse if your clutch is slightly worne and you have to find neutral. Ever be in a race and stall and try to find neutral with you heart racing a mile a minute and with arm pump? Not fun.

I wouldn't let the kicker keep me from buying a TRX, but I sure would be a lot happier if it came with e start and a kicker back up. To me, that is the logical choice. Yamaha was close, but should have put the kicker on from the factory.

Scott

All the new generation 4 strokes kick start easy...................... when they are new. The problem (with CRFs, YZ450Fs, etc) is that as you put time on the motors they become harder and harder to start. With valve clearences flexing, rings wearing, etc the motor simply is not as good as it was when it was new. And, it shouldn't. They become more of a pain in the arse to start, especially when hot.

Even still, if you take care of your motor and keep the engine maintenance up, it will be relatively reliable.

The biggest problem I have with the kick start is this. I ride MX, and only MX. When you stall a kick start only quad in a race, you are screwed. Now, it is not the quad's fault you stalled it, but still, if you do in a MX race by the time you get the kicker out, and kick it over, you have lost positions. Even worse if your clutch is slightly worne and you have to find neutral. Ever be in a race and stall and try to find neutral with you heart racing a mile a minute and with arm pump? Not fun.

I wouldn't let the kicker keep me from buying a TRX, but I sure would be a lot happier if it came with e start and a kicker back up. To me, that is the logical choice. Yamaha was close, but should have put the kicker on from the factory.

Scott
    You Yami guys will do anything to put down the Honda!!! My 250r is over 16 years old!!! It has been sitting all winter long, I put the choke on, a gave it 1 solid kick and it started!!! What makes the 450r soo easy to start is the compression release. My buddies 350x is 16years old and still starts with one or 2 kicks cold. If you maintain your bike its going to start! I haven't had a problem yet starting this bike! The freakin kickstart option on the YFZ is over $400!! I'm sure for that price someone will make an estart option in the future for my girlfriends who have problems starting the 450R.
    1986 250R (Macdizzy 350 PV)
    2004 TRX 450R
    GT Thunder 490 kit w/ 13:1 JE
    HMF Exhaust
    FCR40mm Carb
    HRC Cam
    GT Thunder Rear Linkage

Have you ever rebuilt the top end on the R?
    2003 Cannondale Blaze

when my quad is cold it would take alot of kicks to get it started and when it started I had to keep the choke on until it was warm and it would ride fine the rest of the day but then a buddy of mine told me to try pumping the throtle two times and kick it and it work with the choke off and I have done that every since and haven't had a prob.

i run ultimate 4 with 93octane at 50-50 and havent had a problem. The only times i had problems with it starting is when i flooded it. You just open up the throttle all the way and give it a few kicks to clean it out and it fires right up.

Have you ever rebuilt the top end on the R?
    Which R?
    On the 250R, the answer is yes of course I have! You see, I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty or kick a quad over!!

1986 250R (Macdizzy 350 PV)
    2004 TRX 450R
    GT Thunder 490 kit w/ 13:1 JE
    HMF Exhaust
    FCR40mm Carb
    HRC Cam
    GT Thunder Rear Linkage

i know i had a 1992 250x and boy that mofo was a pain in the arse to kick over simply because it was old, an the compression release cable was worn out and wouldnt open the valves correctly.....the 450r is proally the best 4 stroke kicker set up ive ever seen....i dont know if this is true or not....so dont flame...but ive been told by many people not to put the kicker on the yfz 450 because its a pain in the *** to kick because it dont have an auto compression release...and that is why many of the yz450fs are harder to kick also...i dont know if its true...
    IF YOU DONT HAVE WINGS U DONT HAVE A PRAYER!!

2004 Honda Rancher 400 A/t: Project quad. mods to come after i repair it

2006 TRX 450ER: HRC kit, AC blackline pro peg nerfbars, AC front bumper, DOXO shockwears, DMP Graphics kit

(SOLD)2002 400ex: shaved front plastics, k&n air filter, rejetted carb, Holeshot mxr rears, holeshot mx fronts, ac pro peg nerfs, ac front bumper, tag handle bars, Magnum rev box,nacs head light caps, nacs E brake block off, TC shorty exhaust, n-style graphics kit, and dirtbike clutch lever and perch

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast