Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: installing a kill switch

installing a kill switch

yea i just prchest a pro designe kill switch and the instructions that came with it are not that great. All the diagrame showed was how to install it to the bars and thats like the easiest part!!! but the rest makes no sence to me at all. Can someone help me please ThnX
    2008 Can Am DS450 being built

Splice the long wire into either the black and yellow wire coming from the CDI box or into the black and white wire coming from the stock kill switch. The short wire goes to a ground.
    ATVRiders Janitorial Technician

!!!!!DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!!!!!!

Originally posted by JOEX
    Splice the long wire into either the black and yellow wire coming from the CDI box or into the black and white wire coming from the stock kill switch. The short wire goes to a ground.

Just to add to that, if you tap into the black white wire at the main harness coming down from the handlebars, You can tap the other wire into the GREEN wire in that same harness. This is a common ground for just about everything on the front of the quad.

If you do this right you can seal both splices with heatshrink tubing and then slide the harnesses main shielding back up into place. This way your slices are protected from the elements.
    Heres to all the men in women in uniform!

Good point That will be a cleaner look than this...
    Attached Images Attached Images

anyone know how to instal a parts unlimited one(like the tusk)
    2003 4??EX w/: too much stuff to list. im afraid to total the receipts.
    2001 AC ZR600 vev efi le ITS FORSALE
    1995 Chevy S-10 LS 4.3 5speed 6/7 drop with some custom stuff....lowest static in town....

Originally posted by ReconRider25
    Should be the same way. How many wires does it have?

Originally posted by ReconRider25
    I would thiink that all two wire kill switches are installed the same.
    The purpose of the switch is to short the ignition to ground and shut it off. Because of that, it really doesnt matter which wire you hook where (from the switch). Just so long as the ignition signal is grounded out when the switch is closed.( the cord is pulled out)

I installed a maier m/c kill switch on my 400 because it was readily available and less that half the cost of a prodesign atv switch. It gets the job done, and was less than $12
    LOL besides, I'll probably only need it for one race

Originally posted by JOEX
    Good point That will be a cleaner look than this...

Actually Joe that don't look too bad there. The switch I bought didn't have any wire ends on it, and only came with two crimp on splice connectors I am not a big fan of that type of connection, as I have seen them lead to corrosion and broken wires. So I took the time to strip, splice, solder, and heatshrink mine. And I figured since I was there I might as well tap into a known good source of ground.

Thanks Mike

It's not too bad but I have a few other added wires for the LazerStar lights under the fender. I used that split corragated tubing for most of them.I think i'll get some heat shrink tubing eventually.

I don't like those splice connector either, I just stripped and black taped them.

Originally posted by soggyrider
    Just to add to that, if you tap into the black white wire at the main harness coming down from the handlebars, You can tap the other wire into the GREEN wire in that same harness. This is a common ground for just about everything on the front of the quad.
    Thanks, Soggy! I used your method to finally connect my kill switch that's been sittin around here for a few months. I took some pics for those of you who still need to complete this task... sorry for the blurriness, my camera sucks!

So, on to STEP 1

Remove the plastic retainers and 4 bolts that hold the front plastic on. Pull it off and out of the way. After you get the plastic off, locate the connector attached to the left side of the fram and unwrap the tape where the wires tee off is different directions. Once you've freed up this end, you can pull back the rubber protector like this:

http://www.malicat.com/quadstuff/kill01.jpg

STEP 2

Once you get the wires exposed, isolate the black/white and green wires, and give them a snip. Make sure to leave enough wire between your cut and the connector in case you screw up and have to try again. Place a piece of shrink tubing over the wire. Strip, flux, and solder the long kill switch wire to the black/white wire and the short kill switch wire to the green wire. Now you have 3 wire ends soldered together at each junction. Fold the soldered ends over and slide the shrink tubing up and over the soldered connection. You should have something like this:

http://www.malicat.com/quadstuff/kill02.jpg

STEP 3

Wrap it all up in tape like so:

http://www.malicat.com/quadstuff/kill03.jpg

STEP 4

Zip tie everything in place so your wires aren't floppin around and you're ready to go. Here's a pic of mine completed... I mounted it in the middle of the bars so that it won't get yanked out on sharp turns and it's less likely to get snagged on branches when bombing through the woods.

http://www.malicat.com/quadstuff/kill04.jpg
    2002 400EX, Arens Steering Stem, Arens nerfs, Renthal 787 bars, MSR Raptor clutch lever, 14/39 gears, X-Ring chain, Kenda Klaw XCR & XCF, HMF slipon, Cascade brake block off, UNI filter, no airbox lid, JE 416 10.8:1, Hotcams Stage 2, stock suspension for now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast