Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: i had my 400ex close to 70mph

Talking i had my 400ex close to 70mph

i was ridng behind my neighbors crownvic and i was right behind there bumber and they wasn't pulling away or anything and when i started to slow down and pull off to the emergency lane the pulled over i rode up to them to the passenger window and they told me they where doing 70mph i could harly believe that do you think it could go that fast has any 400ex ever gone that fast??

by the way whats the most commoon mods do you all do to your 400ex it doesnt pull off the line fast enough or something ... i dont really know what it is .. it just seems different like it should have some power there or something . i dont know anywho do you think that it could have been that fast or was they just pulling my leg?
    450yfz stock

---2002 400ex stock-- sold
    handguards, white brother shock covers.
    Quad Hauler - 2001 chevy 4x4 5.3
    265/75 Pacers 164u 16/10's

I f you are going that fast,make sure it aint got a 16 tooth front sprocket,that would explain the lack of power and the unheard of top speed.Stock is 15 teeth,most everyone drops to a 14.
    2002 400 EX Yellow(2 more hp than red)
    K&N filter w/outerwear
    Dynojet kit
    AC nerfbars
    14 tooth renthal
    146 main,stock pilot,screw out 3 turns-starts perfect with no choke.

No FEAR, No SHAME, No PROBLEMS
    Cam 2 runeth through my viens.

Past rides:73 Honda SL70, 19?? Honda ATC 90, 83 Honda XR80, 82 Yamaha YZ80, 84 Yamaha YZ80, 87 Yamaha YZ80, 85 Kawasaki KX125, 82 Yamaha YZ 250, 88 Yamaha Banshee(much bling bling),87 Yamaha Warrior(mistake)

Fords are notorious for false speedometer readings, sorry but you were only going 45mph! JK!:blah
    2004 YFZ 450-- Couple of usefull options--
    http://www.danasoft.com/vipersig.jpg

AtvNC.com Race Team

That speed isnt unheard of at all.... just a matter of gearing, tire sizes and mods. Im not sure about most everyone, but a 14 tooth on the front of mine would be way too low of gearing for my tastes. Im currently running the stock 15t ... with a 36t in back... have good top end and still pulls very strong from the line. *shrugs* Thats just my opinion of course

Just noticed that your sig says 300ex... sure that isnt why you dont feel like you are pulling strong? j/k

NewRider
    Last edited by NewRider; 03-12-2002 at 02:46 PM.

As discussed many times in the past, motor mods won't give you any top speed by themselves (unless your motor is falling short of the rev limiter and the mods would pull you to that limit). In order to gain any top speed you'd either have to go to a 16 tooth front sprocket or a smaller rear sprocket and/or go with a bigger rear tire. If your 400EX is stock than you're riding the world's fastest stock EX. No offense but the old "I was paced by my friend in a car" is about as accurate predicting the next Mt. St. Helens explosion.
    2013 KTM 300XC

i guess they where just pulling my leg or something.. i wasnt loosing them if anything i was getting closer to the rear bumper. i to thought that 70mph was to fast but i thought i would ask you all and see what you all had to say about that..

i know one thing i do have the worlds weirdest 400ex cause 1st and 2nd i can hammer the throttle on but if i do it in 3rd the wheels will come off the ground...

i raced this warrior... he did not beat me but i did not leave him like i thought i would he was right behind me a couple of feet.. thats not good is it?

but i have a better take off and a higher top speed he just seems to be in the middle of somewhere.. nevermind i have no idea how to try to tell you what i mean so anyhow the 400ex is awesome!!

i been getting 6-7 feet of air and let me tell you it lands a whole lot smoother than the other one i had..
    450yfz stock

---2002 400ex stock-- sold
    handguards, white brother shock covers.
    Quad Hauler - 2001 chevy 4x4 5.3
    265/75 Pacers 164u 16/10's

yellowrider, did you sell the 300ex?

could have been caused by a slightly inaccurate speedo...

unless the crown vic has "certified" on the speedo and a "police interceptor" badge on the back I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in what the speedo reads

Leo
    You know the world is going crazy when France is accusing the US of arrogance, and Germany doesn't want to go to war.

Car speedometers are not always completely accurate. Things like tires that are a different diameter than what came on the car or the tire pressure can make the speedometer's accuracy vary. When my 400 was completely stock it was clocked by a Nissan truck at 71-72 mph. That was with worn tires (lowers the gearing) and, I am ashamed to say, with a passenger.
    Last edited by Wingnut; 03-12-2002 at 08:10 PM.
    GNCC/Mideast #146
    450R
    400EX

same thing happend to me man......

me and a freind (me in car he on my 300) rode on the road to a gas station about a mile from my house to get gas in both..the car and my bike......well after we got there i hopped on the quad lined up with him on the road and said clock me....he took off i took off passed him and laid into....wound out all my gears and about the time i felt i wassn't ganna go any faster i slowed let him pass and met him at the house (why hold it open for a mile...blow my____up right)....after i pulled in he was givin' me this i hate you look...whats up man what was i about 45 tops....no man "65" what bull___ dude you were goin 65 miles an hour on your ___300ex in front mf mei got right behind you and neither of us moved goin steady at 65 untill you slowed down.......i belived him and came on this site and posted a thread
    "CLOCKED AT 65" well everyone on the site made fun of my for a while about it and i finally got it though my head....i was runnin' some tall *** 22"/23"/24"inch tires man but 65 on a piped air mod and gear moded 300ex....no way man....those shaved fender's didn't do that much of a differance......they got me to beliveing the you can't do a top speed test by a car running along side.....like the other day.....i was riding an ol'e abandond road...little toyota 4 cylinder pulls up "ay main" le'me ride..."what he!! naw" well' uh' lets race"...."ahigh"...stopped lined em' up .....i walked mine (started out in second) walked mine through2nd 3rd and laid it down it 4th took off and left him.....he said he was don 70 and was barly creepin up on me.....now that doesn't meani was doin 80' just means i got the jump took a lead and he had to gas it to close the gap between up.....i was proly doin 45 or 50 but got such a good jump he had to double his speed to catch me..see what i'm sayin......damn't use a car as a speed test.......
    W1DE5PREADPANIC@AOL.COM

TAKE IT FROM A PRO
    ......JUST SAY NO......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast